Friday, October 31, 2014

Notebook: Michigan to host annual Blue/White Game at Yost Ice Arena

Adam Glanzman/Daily

By Matt Slovin, Daily Sports Editor
and Liz Nagle, Daily Sports Writer

The Michigan hockey program will host its annual Blue/White Game, featuring several alumni, at Yost Ice Arena on Sunday. The scrimmage will feature current National Hockey League players Mike Knuble, Jack Johnson, Matt Hunwick and Andy Hilbert.

The puck is scheduled to drop at 4:50 p.m.

Michigan coach Red Berenson said on Tuesday’s “Red Berenson Radio Show” that the game will be a great opportunity for fans to catch a first glimpse of the renovated rink.

This summer, Yost underwent a major facelift, which most notably included new windows at both ends of the arena. The entire rink is now outfitted with metal bleachers, and luxury boxes have been added where the press box used to sit. The concourses were also renovated and are now more spacious.

Johnson, who was the first alumni guest of the season on the radio show, said he’s excited to take part in Sunday’s scrimmage. He’s been skating in Ann Arbor during the NHL’s lockout — Johnson, who has been in the NHL since 2007, is a member of the Columbus Blue Jackets.

“It’s a great way to stay in shape,” during the NHL lockout, Johnson said.

HERE COMES THE ... DJ?: This summer, Red Berenson strolled into a wedding reception to find a familiar face behind the disc-jockey booth — junior defenseman Mac Bennett.

“He’s pretty good, so you guys watch yourselves,” Berenson told the hosts of the radio show, which airs weekly on WTKA.

Former Michigan hockey player Danny Fardig chose Bennett to man the turntables, as he has been known to do, for his summer wedding.

“I think that’s a one-time thing,” Bennett said. “Literally, I did not sleep for four nights before the wedding. All I could think about was that if I mess this up, everyone’s going to know. But it went well.”

Bennett added that the wedding was a perfect match for him because the bride enjoyed techno house music — Bennett’s specialty.

PRESEASON AWARDS: Tuesday, the Central Collegiate Hockey Association released its preseason all-conference teams, which included four Michigan hockey players.

Junior defenseman Jon Merrill was chosen as the lone Wolverine on the first team. Sophomore forward Alex Guptill and senior defenseman Lee Moffie were posted to the second team, and senior forward A.J. Treais was named an honorable mention.

Merrill earned a preseason accolade for the second-straight year, tallying eight first-place votes and 44 total points amongst the CCHA’s head coaches. The Brighton, Mich. native notched seven goals and 18 assists in his rookie campaign. After missing the first 22 games last year due to suspension, Merrill posted 11 points, including four multiple-point games.

Last season, Guptill accumulated a handful of conference awards en route to being named CCHA Rookie of the Year. He tied for the team-high with 16 goals, including five power-play goals and four game-winners.

In his first three seasons, Moffie registered 61 points, including last year’s team-high of 25 assists. He was selected for the All-CCHA Tournament team and received a trio of first-place votes on 2012-13 preseason ballot.

Treais, this year’s team captain, led Michigan with 134 shots on goal last season, scoring on 15.

|