Monday, September 22, 2014

Notebook: Stonum ticketed, Hoke explains brunette girls

File Photo/Daily

By Kevin Raftery, Daily Sports Editor

The Michigan football team’s second-leading receiver from 2010 didn’t appear in any major stories throughout the Wolverines’ successful 2011 campaign.

He kept a low profile, not often heard about in the news. Until now.

Senior Darryl Stonum, redshirted the 2011 season after being suspended for operating a vehicle while visibly impaired last May — the second time in his college career he’d been charged with the crime. Early yesterday morning, he was pulled over by Ann Arbor police after leaving the probation office.

Stonum's license had been suspended since May. According to Ann Arbor court records, Stonum had told his probation officers that he had been dropped off at the probation office by a friend that morning.

As is apparent now, that was not the case.

Stonum drove himself to the probation office, a direct violation of his probation. Just minutes after he left the office, he was pulled over and ticketed for driving with a revoked license.

His probation is not set to end until June 2013, as reported by the Detroit Free Press. But according to Michigan coach Brady Hoke, Stonum is still a member of the Michigan football team, at least for now.

“Until we know everything, nothing’s changed,” Hoke said on Thursday.

Hoke also said he was not concerned about Stonum’s ability to make good decisions, even given his track record.

If Stonum does remain on the team, he will likely be a high-impact player for the Wolverines in 2012. In 2010, the Stafford, Texas native finished the season with 633 yards and four touchdowns, and he has over 1,000 yards receiving in his career.

BLONDES>BRUNETTES?: Since Michigan redshirt sophomore kicker Brendan Gibbons finished an impressive season (13-for-17 on field goals) by hitting a game-winning 37-yard field goal in overtime to defeat Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl, there’s been a lot of talk about brunettes.

After the game on Tuesday, Gibbons said that before the kick, he simply envisioned brunette girls and it helped him relax. He said it was a strategy that Hoke suggested to him.

On Thursday, Hoke gave his side of the story.

At the end of practice each Thursday, Hoke has Gibbons line up for a kick. Usually, Hoke calls a couple timeouts to ice the kicker.

The first time Gibbons lined up for the kick with Hoke at the helm, Hoke pulled him aside during the time out.

“What makes ya happy?” Hoke asked him.

“Well, I like the sand, the water and pretty girls.”

“Pretty blondes?”

“No, brunettes.”

And, according to Hoke, “That’s the end of the story.”

COMMITS ENROLL EARLY: The Wolverines will be welcoming three new players to the football team this semester.

Linebackers Kaleb Ringer and Joe Bolden and safety Jarrod Wilson have all enrolled early in school and will be practicing with the team in the spring.

Hoke said it was the players’ decision to enroll and that he didn’t encourage them to do so.

“They just were able to,” Hoke said. “We didn’t push any of them to come early. I think at some point, kids miss their senior year of high school, and I think that’s kind of an important part. But they wanted to and their clock made it work.”

Hoke did mention that it obviously will be advantageous for the players football-wise, given that they will have extra time to learn defensive coordinator Greg Mattison’s system.

But there are other advantages, too.

“From an academic standpoint it’s as important as anything when you don’t have the pressure of a season going on,” Hoke said.

MOLK AND MARTIN NOT DONE: Their careers at Michigan may be over, but center David Molk and defensive tackle Mike Martin aren’t ready to say goodbye.

“The battles aren’t gonna end,” Martin said.

Both Martin and Molk will be training for the NFL draft in the upcoming months. Who better to train with than the guy who’s made you better for the last four years?

“I’m gonna be goin’ up against him for training and everything, so I’ll always be in that guy’s face,” Martin said.

|