Thursday, September 18, 2014

Notebook: Brady Hoke refuses to talk about injuries

Paul Sherman/Daily

By Greg Garno, Managing Sports Editor

Michigan coach Brady Hoke generally refrains from talking about injuries.

He called them “boo-boos” in his first years and Wednesday, he took it to a new level, refusing to even acknowledge them.

When asked about the status of senior linebacker Desmond Morgan, who is now in a rotation for his position after starting last season, Hoke didn’t discuss it.

One reporter asked: “Will Desmond Morgan play on Saturday?”

To which Hoke replied: “Well, you know, we’re not going to talk about any injuries,” he responded.

“So he’s injured?” the reporter responded.

“I didn’t say that, you did,” Hoke answered back.

Morgan finished with six total tackles (four solo, two assisted) against Appalachian State, but Hoke’s response raised more questions than it answered.

He was consistent with his non-answer when asked about freshman Jabrill Peppers status for Saturday, two days after he said the cornerback would be good to go.

“We’re not talking about injuries,” Hoke said.

And when asked about the progression of sophomore tight end Jake Butt, Hoke went back to his go-to phrase. Butt is recovering from an ACL injury in March and is slated to return in time for the Big Ten season.

That time, he was in a joking mood.

“Good job, though,” he told the reporter.

BOSCH LEAVES: Michigan announced that sophomore offensive lineman Kyle Bosch has taken a leave of absence indefinitely from the program.

“Kyle Bosch has taken a leave of absence for an undetermined amount of time for personal reasons,” Hoke said in a statement. “We ask that his privacy be respected at this time. We wish him the best and look forward to his return.”

Bosch was one of several linemen competing for a starting position on an inexperienced offensive line. His lone start came last season against Michigan State, when the Wolverines rushed for minus-48 yards.

He played in five games last season and saw time as a backup guard in the Wolverines’ win over Appalachian State on Saturday.

Bosch was competing at both guard spots, but was listed behind sophomore Erik Magnuson at left guard and fifth-year senior Joey Burzynski at right guard.

Sophomore Kyle Kalis would move into second on the depth chart automatically.

BOLDEN’S BEST BUD: Junior linebacker Joe Bolden was born and raised in the Midwest, and he was born and raised with the Notre Dame-Michigan rivalry.

From Cincinnati, Ohio, Bolden said he grew up watching the game on TV and was aware of the matchup well before he was ever recruited.

Growing up the son of a high school football coach, Bolden said he went to his first game when he was two weeks old and then sat with his dad in front of the TV on Saturday.

“Obviously, Notre Dame comes on and Michigan comes on at the same time, you’re going to watch them play,” Bolden said. “It’s a phenomenal series.”

But this matchup might mean even more, since he played in high school beside Notre Dame linebacker Jarrett Grace. Currently recovering from injury, Grace likely won’t be in action, but that doesn’t mean the two aren’t taking the rivalry any less seriously.

“We love each other, but this week we don’t necessarily talk to each until after the game,” Bolden said. “We love each other so much that we’re not going to be hard about things.”

Bolden visited him in South Bend, Ind. over the summer, one of the few times he’s traveled to see his friend at school.

“It’s almost like he’s a brother to me,” Bolden said.

|