A team that lacks veteran leadership is often destined for failure, but the Michigan baseball team is trying to go against that grain. Despite starting only one senior, catcher Cole Martin, the Wolverines have found their success through newcomers.

It starts with junior center fielder Jackson Glines. After playing two seasons at Fresno City College, Glines has been Michigan’s hottest bat. The junior is hitting .355 with nine doubles and consistently has quality at-bats — something Michigan coach Erik Bakich stresses to all his players. The junior’s offensive prowess has already helped him become the Big Ten Player of the Week.

Glines isn’t the only newcomer who has opened eyes. Redshirt junior first baseman Kendall Patrick has come on as of late. The former Blackhawk College star didn’t start at the beginning of the season, but he has since become a mainstay at first base because of his hitting power and steady error-free defense.

“(Patrick) is a veteran guy; this is his fourth year in college,” Bakich said. “Much like Jackson Glines, they are juniors from an eligibility standpoint but have played much more baseball and much more reps than a lot of the other guys. I like his toughness, intangibles, experience and his performance.

“He puts the barrel on the ball and has a chance to hit the long ball. He’s capable of changing the game with one swing of the bat.”

The Wolverines (8-12-1) have found another contributor at second base in freshman Ramsey Romano. From day one, Romano has shown his competitiveness, which has allowed him to stay in the lineup. Combined with his maturity, that has helped become a crucial part of the team.

Romano boasts a .271 batting average, and though it may seem low, he has more at-bats than nearly everyone on the team and has come through in the clutch.

“Ramsey Romano, being in the bottom of the lineup, has had some of the best two-strike at-bats that I’ve seen all year,” said fifth-year senior right-hander Ben Ballantine. “For a freshman, to find a way to get a good swing off of two strikes and earn your way on base with the top of the lineup coming up is a huge momentum boost.”

Freshman outfielder Jackson Lamb, perhaps Michigan’s best newcomer, is day-to-day in his recovery from a lower-back injury. But, when in the lineup, he provides a spark to the offense and stability in the outfield.

BALLANTINE AND CRONENWORTH DOMINANT: Michigan has seen success from its starting pitchers all season long. But Ballantine has been the most dominant. The fifth-year senior has had strong command in all five of his appearances and boasts a 2-0 record while garnering 27 strikeouts — the most on the team.

What has driven his success? Bakich believes it’s his development and confident use of a slider. Ballantine worked all off-season with assistant coach Sean Kenny to develop a slider grip, and it’s paying dividends.

Almost lost in Ballantine’s success is the outstanding pitching by sophomore right-hander Jacob Cronenworth. The closer has earned four saves in five appearances by throwing a fastball in the 90s, a strong slider and split-finger that has a heavy drop.

“He just has the exact mentality you want out of the closer,” Ballantine said. “He comes into the game not hoping he’s going to close it down, but just knowing that he’s going to close it down. It’s easy to tell which guys throw every pitch with everything they got, and he’s definitely one of our pitchers who does that every pitch he throws.”

Added Bakich: “When Croney gets out on the mound, he knows in his mind that he’s going to be successful. He’s going to throw a fastball, slider or split finger wherever he wants to, and it doesn’t matter what the count is, because he’s got a lot of confidence to execute all of his pitches.”

LAMB’S RETURN: Lamb, perhaps Michigan’s greatest offensive bat and newcomer, has only appeared 12 games and started just nine.

But when he’s in the lineup, it makes a difference. The Wolverines have rotated plenty at the corner outfield positions, but a healthy Lamb can provide stability.

“We’ve got some other talented guys,” Bakich said. “But Jackson Lamb has had more consistent quality at-bats than of the corner outfielders, with the exception of Kyle Jusick and Jackson Glines.”

Lamb underwent an MRI on Wednesday, but the results have yet to be determined. Nonetheless, doctors have cleared Lamb to play this weekend against Indiana.