Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Michigan suffers setback at Web.com Intercollegiate

By Nathaniel Clark, Daily Sports Writer

It was a rough two days for the Michigan women’s golf team.

One week after placing second at the Hoya Invitational, the Wolverines found themselves in 17th place out of 18 teams following Monday’s play at the Web.com Intercollegiate in Jacksonville, Fla.

Despite a comeback Tuesday, all Michigan could muster was a tie for 15th in its last tournament before Big Ten Championships.

“We didn’t exactly bring our best to this tournament,” said Michigan coach Jan Dowling. 

Freshman Grace Choi was the Wolverines’ best performer, but even she was only able to climb as high as a tie for 50th place out of the 100 golfers with a total score of 227. Her bright spots featured scoring 75 in both of the first two rounds with birdies on the 18th hole.

Senior Lauren Grogan had an especially disappointing tournament, especially given her recent success. Fresh off her runner-up finish one week ago, she managed to tie for 52nd place with 228, which included 11 bogeys and three double bogeys. She did, however, manage five birdies including one on the 8th and 9th holes in the first round.

“Neither (Choi nor Grogan) could say that it was their best round,” Dowling said. “But this tournament did show both of them the things they needed to work on here in the next two weeks.”

Sophomore Catherine Peters finished in a tie for 55th with 229, mostly due to an 80 in the first round with two double bogeys and one triple bogey. She turned things around in the second and third rounds with scores of 75 and 74, respectively, which led the team for that stretch.

Senior Yungee Lee fell the farthest of Michigan’s golfers. She placed into a tie for 76th with 233 after finishing 10th last week. She did notch four birdies during the tournament, though, including one on the 17th hole of the third round.

But it was fellow senior Alyssa Shimel who had arguably the toughest day of any of the Wolverines. An 83 in the third round that was devoid of birdies dropped her to a tie for 78th with 235. Beforehand, she led Michigan with a score of 152 after the second round.

“The third round definitely got away from (Shimel),” Dowling said. “She can take back some confidence, though, in that she had two decent rounds.”

In spite of this week’s lackluster tournament, Dowling was pleased with the Wolverines’ overall progression this season. She commended the cohesiveness of the team and pointed out that Michigan’s average scores have been much lower in the spring than they were in the fall. After playing five tournaments in the past six weeks, the Wolverines will certainly appreciate the two-week break before Big Ten Championships. Nevertheless, Dowling stressed that minor adjustments, not major changes, are key to success in this year’s championships.

“Sometimes, when you play a lot of tournaments, you fall back into old habits, which was part of what happened the past two days,” Dowling said. “The break will be good in that it will allow us to catch up on sleep and make the adjustments that we need to make for Big Ten Championships.”