Sunday, November 23, 2014

Michigan to open against Oregon at Legends Classic

By Jake Lourim, Summer Managing Sports Editor
Published August 6, 2014

Michigan’s Legends Classic slate is officially set, and it should include another marquee opponent to add to a strong non-conference schedule.

The Wolverines will host the Ann Arbor regional Nov. 17 and 20 against Bucknell and Detroit, respectively. They will then head to the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York for a Nov. 24 semifinal matchup with Oregon at 9 p.m.

The winner of that game will play the next day for the championship against the winner between VCU and Villanova. The losers will also play the next day.

Toledo, Detroit, Bucknell and Maryland-Eastern Shore, the four teams who do not host regionals, will travel to the two of the four host sites and then play a similar-style tournament in Toledo, Ohio from Nov. 24-25.

The Wolverines might have had a tougher first-round opponent if not for the off-season suspensions of Oregon’s Dominic Artis, Brandon Austin and Damyean Dotson. Still, the Ducks, an NCAA Tournament team last season, will be a fine non-conference opponent. VCU and Villanova, meanwhile, could be two of the top teams in the country this year, bringing back most of their NCAA Tournament teams from last season.

Oregon and either VCU or Villanova join Syracuse, Arizona and Southern Methodist as Michigan’s top non-conference opponents in 2013.