Thursday, October 30, 2014

Michigan names Barnes Arico as next women's basketball coach

By Michael Laurila, Daily Sports Writer

A little over two weeks ago, the Michigan women’s basketball program received an unexpected shock when fifth-year coach Kevin Borseth resigned. This was after the Wolverines posted their best season under Borseth and made it to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2001.
But the team is moving forward.

Today, the Athletic Department has named Kim Barnes Arico as the program’s next coach.

Barnes Arico, a Mastic Beach, N.Y. native, has spent the past 10 seasons at St. John’s University, where she revived a faltering program. During her tenure with the Red Storm, they earned seven post-season berths, including four NCAA Tournament appearances.

“I am excited and honored to represent the University of Michigan as its new head women’s basketball coach,” Barnes Arico said through the Athletic Department. “The University of Michigan is world renowned for its academic and athletic excellence and our program will continue to stress the University's foundational values of being a true student-athlete, excellence in the classroom, excellence on the court and involvement in the community.”

Though this will only be her second coaching position at the Division-I level, Barnes Arico’s career started at Division III Fairleigh Dickinson-Madison University in 1996.

Along with turning around St. John’s, she was named the Big East Coach of the Year in 2006 and 2012, and posted her best postseason run this year when the Red Storm made to the Sweet 16 as a No. 3 seed. Barnes Arico’s experience in the Big East — one of the nation’s toughest basketball conferences, heralded for producing many WNBA players — should offer the Wolverines a lot of experience.

“Kim is an elite coach that will help elevate our women’s basketball program to new heights," said Michigan Athletic Director Dave Brandon through the Athletic Department. “Kim has been successful at every coaching stop and has built teams that compete for championships. She is a tireless recruiter who will accomplish great things at Michigan. We are extremely happy that Kim and her family chose to join Michigan Athletics.”

Barnes Arico will hold her inaugural press conference in Ann Arbor on Monday, April 23 at 12:30 p.m.

|