Near the end of practice on Wednesday, Michigan coach Carol Hutchins gathered her team around and stressed the importance of executing the sacrifice bunt and advancing runners.

For an offense that excels in Ann Arbor, where the Michigan softball team is currently hitting .392 with 34 home runs in 19 games, Hutchins of all things, is concerned with scoring runs.

“There’s no advantage to anybody you play,” Hutchins said. “Anybody in the Top-16 right now is playing good softball. It doesn’t mater if we beat them in February or they beat us.”

And as the Wolverines take on Louisiana-Lafayette this weekend, they’ll need all the offense they can get against a stellar pitcher and a powerful offense.

Michigan’s defense and home crowd has carried them into an eighth Super Regional in nine years. The Wolverines remain undefeated at Alumni Field, where they will host their first super regional since 2009.

The Ragin’ Cajuns collided once with Michigan last year on Feb 22. The Wolverines came away with a 3-1 victory behind a two-run homer by senior Ashley Lane and a complete game by Driesenga. But both teams have grown since then. Overall, the Wolverines are 5-6 when facing Louisiana-Lafayette.

“I asked our kids today, ‘Are we a better team today than we were in February?’ They said yes, and we are. And I can tell that every team still playing is better than they were in February, so that means so is ULL.

“We’re just not really focusing on February. That was a long time ago. It seems like last year.”

In last weekend’s regional, sophomore right-hander Sara Driesenga was lights out in three complete games, where she only allowed one run and struck out 19 batters. Driesenga’s performance, along with the defense behind her, will be key this weekend against ULL.

“This year, all of her pitches have been great,” said sophomore catcher Lauren Sweet. “There’s never been a go-to pitch for her this year. She kind of just throws them all and she’s really doing great this year. She’s really stepped it up with all her pitches.”

ULL has strength in the middle of their lineup, with three batters who have a combined 41 home runs 175 RBI on the season.

The Wolverines’ explosive offense has helped take pressure off a stingy defense. With a multi-run cushion in the regional final, the defense was able to play without worrying about giving up the lead.

That could be a struggle when Michigan takes on the Ragin’ Cajuns right-hander Jordan Wallace. The sophomore pitched three complete-game shutouts while striking out 25 last weekend. After struggling to master a third and fourth pitch at the beginning of the season, Wallace has matured into a tougher pitcher.

But that shouldn’t frighten the Wolverines, who enter the weekend after facing California’s national player-of-the-year candidate, Jolene Henderson, last weekend.

“It’s huge to face someone like that, a really good pitcher like that, and then come out the next weekend,” Sweet said. “It really gives you confidence.”

A trip to the Women’s College World Series awaits Michigan should they advance this weekend. The Wolverines have not travelled to Oklahoma City since 2009, and the trick to doing so, as it has been for the Wolverines all season, will be one-pitch softball.

“(Coach) has pounded one-pitch softball, staying in the now, this entire season,” said senior second baseman Ashley Lane. “We’ve been pretty god as far as staying in the moment and not looking ahead.”