Friday, December 19, 2014

Michigan hockey alumni return to Yost Ice Arena

Paul Sherman/Daily

By Erin Lennon, Daily Sports Writer
Published August 29, 2014

With five minutes remaining in the first period of the 2014 Michigan hockey alumni game, Red Berenson nearly tallied an assist against former Wolverines goaltender Steve Shields.

Wearing a blue jersey with the number nine emblazoned on the back, the 74-year-old coach stole the show while his current team watched on from the stands. Berenson centered the team’s top line between class of 1974 forward Bob Falconer and Dale Rominski (1999) and created several golden opportunities, including an open look on his third shift of the evening.

“It’s old-timer hockey, summer hockey,” Berenson said. “We had fun and we work on it. It was a good game. I’m just glad they all came back. It was a good turnout.”

The over-35 game — which included three 15-minute periods — featured assistant coaches Brian Wiseman and Billy Powers, along with former Michigan standouts in Shields and forward Chris Frescoln (1999). Shields tallied several key saves, including a snag in the third period to keep the game tied at one.

Wiseman, whose 348 points are third in the program, anchored the second line at center. Behind Berenson, of course.

Current New Jersey Devils forward Mike Cammelari anchored the white team in the under-35 game, netting a hat trick against class of 2006 goaltender Noah Ruden. Cammelari’s three goals weren’t enough, though, as the blue team pulled off the 7-6 victory.

“Being on Yost ice is a special, special thing,” Cammelari said. “There’s a lot of sentimental value to it and it means a lot to be back at my home. We were all smiles out there and had a lot of fun. We’re looking to get together after and tell a bunch of lies.”

The contest featured four 2014 graduates, including defenseman Mac Bennett, forward Luke Moffatt, forward Derek DeBlois and defenseman Kevin Clare. Former goaltender Adam Janecyk was also in attendance.

The weekend, which will end with a golf tournament on Sunday, is a tradition that brings alum back while showing incoming freshman the tradition and history of Michigan hockey.

“It’s getting guys back here on campus, in this arena, being around our program and feeling a part of this program forever,” Wiseman said. “That’s important to (Berenson). For our current guys to see that, what Michigan hockey is. There’s 92 years that happened prior to this team, and a lot of those guys are here today.”

|