Friday, October 31, 2014

Matt Anderson resigns as water polo coach

By Brad Whipple, Daily Sports Writer

Following the Michigan water polo team’s third-place finish this weekend at the Collegiate Water Polo Association Championships, coach Matt Anderson expressed what seemed to be uncontrollable excitement for next season, saying he hadn't felt as good about his team in the last five years.

But now, just days later, Anderson won’t have another season. Tuesday evening, Anderson resigned from his position effective immediately. When asked about the circumstances surrounding his resignation, he could not comment.

“I have really enjoyed my time leading the Michigan women’s water polo program for the past 12 years,” Anderson said in a statement to MGoBlue.com. “I want to thank all of the student-athletes that represented our program in the pool, classroom and community.”

Prior to his career at Michigan, Anderson was assistant coach at San Jose State for two years and transferred to Indiana under the same position in 2001. He became head coach of the Wolverines in 2003 during the program’s third year, replacing former coach Amber Drury-Pinto, who had led Michigan to a fourth-place finish in the NCAA Tournament the year before.

In his first season with the Wolverines, Anderson led his team to a first-place finish in the CWPA Southern Division, where Michigan played before the 2004 realignment moved the Wolverines to the West. In the West, Anderson collected nine consecutive titles.

Throughout his twelve years at Michigan, Anderson has accumulated a 332-133 record, four NCAA Tournament appearances, 10 CWPA Division Titles and five CWPA Championships, the most of any coach in the conference.

The three-time CWPA Coach of the Year has fostered the growth of 24 AWPCA All-Americans as well as Olympic goalkeeper Betsey Armstrong, Michigan’s goalkeeper from 2002 to 2005 who later earned a silver and gold medal at the Beijing and London Olympics, respectively.

Armstrong was one of the first to tweet about Anderson’s resignation:

The Wolverines’ 2014 head coach has yet to be named.

“This past year’s team was an enjoyable group of players to coach, and I want to thank them for their dedication,” Anderson said. “I wish everyone associated with Michigan Athletics the best in the future.”

|