Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Manchester Utd, Real Madrid sold out, expected to break U.S. record

Adam Glanzman/Daily

By Alejandro Zúñiga, Daily Sports Editor

It’s going to be the biggest soccer game in United States history.

And it’s already sold out.

Thursday afternoon, the International Champions Cup and the Athletic Department announced that over 100,000 tickets have been sold for the game between Real Madrid and Manchester United, which will be held at Michigan Stadium on Aug. 2.

The tournament press release says officials are expecting the game to break the attendance record for a soccer game in the U.S. The mark is currently held by the Rose Bowl, which welcomed 101,799 fans to the Olympic Gold Medal Match between France and Brazil in 1984.

A spokesperson from Relevent Sports, the tournament organizers, confirmed to the Daily that more than 100,000 tickets had been distributed, though he declined giving more specific information.

The sellout came less than four hours after tickets became available to the general public at 8:30 a.m. Thursday. However, students, season-ticket holders and anyone who signed up for the International Champions Cup e-mail list had access to a pre-sale that began Monday.

“We were confident fans would recognize the magnitude of this contest between the two most famous teams in the world, but the response surpassed our expectations,” said Relevent Sports CEO Charlie Stillitano in the press release. “This sell-out affirms the growing desire for more international football in the States and firmly establishes the Guinness International Champions Cup as the must-see event in the U.S. this summer. We look forward to providing soccer fans across America the chance to watch the biggest teams in the world play in their backyards.”

Last Friday, when the game was announced, Stillitano boasted that the atmosphere at the Big House “will be unlike anything fans have ever seen.”

Athletic Director Dave Brandon said last Friday that he expects the event will pump $14 million into the Ann Arbor economy, about the same as a Michigan home football game.

A limited number of seats are still available through Vivid Seats, the tournament’s official ticket re-seller. Prices start at $175.

|