Sunday, September 21, 2014

While they can't be on the field, Logan and Keady make impact off of it

Patrick Barron/Daily

By Minh Doan, Daily Sports Writer

Michigan men’s lacrosse goaltender Gerald Logan put his stick out to try to grab a ground ball. Seconds later, a Bellarmine attacker came crashing in and the two collided.

After the game, the sophomore was told he had a torn labrum in his shoulder, an injury that could sideline him for a year. But Logan decided to play through it.

And he was fantastic.

Logan carried the team through a rough 2013 in which the Wolverines won only one game. He finished the season with 211 saves — second in the NCAA — and was named to the 2013 Eastern College Athletic Conference All-Freshman Team.

This fall, the pain only grew, which led to a difficult decision: He could either play through the injury and risk long-term damage or have surgery and miss the entire 2014 season.

Logan chose the latter.

While Logan had to make his own decision, sophomore defender Charlie Keady’s was made for him.

Keady, an ESPN Top 25 longstick midfielder coming out of high school, dislocated his shoulder while also tearing his labrum at the beginning of the season. Both required surgery, and Keady was held out of practice and games.

Though both players haven’t been able to play, they have been able to share their wealth of lacrosse knowledge with the rest of the team, especially the freshmen.

As a part of the first-ever men’s lacrosse recruiting class, both Keady and Logan were freshman only a year ago and can empathize with the current newcomers on and off the field.

“I just remind the freshmen that they will make mental mistakes, and tell them they’re still young, they’ll get older and understand the game better, and to not get down on themselves,” Logan said.

Added Keady: “My class and the freshman class were in the same situation. A lot of young kids are in a position to make an impact. I don’t want to see them make the same mistakes I did.”

Logan has especially keyed in on freshman goaltender Robbie Zonino, who took his place in the starting lineup. While the coaches have mainly taught Zonino the technical aspect of the game, Logan has tried to mentally prepare Zonino for being a Division I goaltender.

“I’ll come to practice and stand next to (assistant coach Casey Martin) and tell him things Robbie can do better technically,” Logan said. “But I help him more with his mentality. Robbie’s a great goalie, but I let him know that he has to forget about every goal and know he’s still a freshman and he’s still going to have time to develop.”

While Logan and Keady were projected to start at the beginning of the fall season, they both acknowledge that it’s tough to watch from the sidelines as the team excels on the field.

“It stinks and it’s unfortunate, because I wish I could be out there competing and helping the team,” Logan said. “I know, in some situations, I could help the team because of my experience not only at Michigan, but since I’ve played against most of the guys we go up against.”

Keady, though, isn’t dwelling and instead is using the situation to learn: He has chosen to view it as a chance to watch the game from a different point of view.

“I become an observer to the game,” Keady said. “I’ve been able to see our defensive tendencies. I’ll be able to address problems faster next year and have a more seamless defense.”

Even if the duo doesn’t make a return to the field this season, time away from the squad has made them hungrier and they have both grown, both as players and people.

Logan and Keady left the team with only one win in their first season. Luckily for them, they will eventually return to a more powerful squad that has already won four games this season. While the Wolverines are already deep with talent, their return to the team can only further help out the team.