Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Lewan's pretrial hearing adjourned until June 16

By Jake Lourim, Summer Managing Sports Editor
Published May 19, 2014

Former Michigan offensive tackle Taylor Lewan, who was drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft on May 8, appeared in Ann Arbor District Court on Monday and had his pretrial hearing adjourned until June 16 at 1:30 p.m.

Lewan is facing three misdemeanor charges — one aggravated assault, two battery — stemming from a Dec. 1 incident. He appeared before the Judge Ann Mattson at the 15th District Court building in Ann Arbor.

Lewan’s attorney, John A. Shea, asked for adjournment of the pretrial hearing in order to further investigate some of the information in the report. The court granted it on the condition that Lewan would not consume alcohol or illegal substances or have any contact with the alleged victims, Ryan Munsch and James Hughes, in the interim. Shea declined to acknowledge that they were victims but complied with the stated demands.

Shea said on his way out of the building that the police report was fairly new to him, adding that “there’s always stuff to follow up on.” He declined to allow Lewan to comment, and Lewan did not make a statement before the court.

The alleged incident occurred after Michigan’s game against Ohio State last year. If found guilty, Lewan could be subject to up to 93 days in jail or a fine of up to $500.

Lewan was the No. 11 overall pick in this year’s draft by the Tennessee Titans. He was a two-time All-American who started 48 games in his career. He participated in the Titans’ rookie minicamp last week. The first open training camp is set for July 26.