Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Lewan to be tried in October on three misdemeanor counts

Ruby Wallau/Daily

By Jake Lourim, Summer Managing Sports Editor
Published July 17, 2014

Former Michigan offensive tackle Taylor Lewan appeared in Ann Arbor District Court on Thursday to have a trial date set for Oct. 28 for three misdemeanor charges against him.

Lewan’s attorney, John A. Shea, immediately approached the bench along with city prosecutor Stacie Shaw to ask for a jury trial. The charges — two counts of aggravated assault and one of battery — stem from a Dec. 1 incident last year in which Lewan allegedly assaulted Ryan Munsch and James Hughes. Judge Elizabeth Pollard Hines noted that both sides are still working out “discovery issues” involved with the case.

The settlement conference between the parties will be Oct. 23 at 9 a.m., when the witness lists and exhibit lists will be exchanged. Hines allowed a later date than usual “for reasons discussed at the bench.” Lewan will be permitted to communicate at the conference by phone.

The jury selection will be Oct. 27 at 9 a.m. Shea requested a larger jury pool than normal — Hines requested 45 as opposed to the usual 30 — because of the publicity of the case. The trial will start the next day and continue as long as necessary in case of a long list of witnesses.

Lewan, a first-round draft pick of the Tennessee Titans, did not make any remarks to the judge except to say that he would be at the jury selection and trial, which will be during the Titans’ bye week. He declined comment outside the courtroom.

Lewan begins camp in Tennessee on July 25. He is one of just three draft picks who have not signed with their teams.

|