Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Leading point scorer JT Compher suffers broken foot, listed as week-to-week

Patrick Barron/Daily

By Greg Garno, Daily Sports Editor
Published December 18, 2013

Wednesday morning, the Michigan hockey team confirmed reports that freshman forward JT Compher is out with a left foot injury he sustained during practice for the U.S. World Junior team on Monday. He’s listed as week-to-week, but the severity of his injury will not be released until later next week after doctors have evaluated his foot.

Compher was one of three Wolverines, including fellow forwards sophomore Andrew Copp and freshman Tyler Motte, to be selected to the preliminary roster after an exhibition game against Minnesota State.

Copp and Motte could miss the Great Lakes Invitational on Dec. 27 and 28 should they survive the final round of cuts for the U.S. team on Dec. 23.

According to multiple reports, Compher was seen in a walking boot after Tuesday’s game from after blocking a shot with his skate in Monday’s practice.

Compher, a second-round National Hockey League draft pick, is tied with Copp as Michigan’s leading point scorer this season. He leads the team with nine assists and has added five goals on the Wolverines’ first or second lines.

Michigan’s offense is ranked 17th in the nation with 3.21 goals per game this season, and would miss Compher’s hot hand. Compher scored his five goals in a five-game span leading up to the Wolverines’ 2-2 tie against Ferris State last week.

This story will be updated as more information is released from the Michigan hockey team.