Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Jung's accomplishments overshadowed by tough loss

BY IAN SHEETS
Daily Sports Writer

Michigan men's tennis senior captain Jason Jung isn't one to boast about his accomplishments. He prefers to let his racket do the talking.

This was on full display this past weekend. He aided the 22nd-ranked Wolverines (10-7 overall, 3-2 Big Ten) to a 5-2 win over Wisconsin before dropping a 5-2 defeat to No. 24 Minnesota.

Over the weekend, Jung picked up another singles win and two doubles wins with his sophomore partner Evan King at No.1 doubles.

On Sunday, the pairing was in formidable form. Jung and King outplayed their Golden Gopher counterparts and overcame all obstacles.

In the first game King saved three break points. The pairing had a bit of luck when Jung framed a volley, the ball trickled over the net and King went on to hold serve. The team continued to roll and won with ease, 8-4.

“What I was pleased with Jason today was his doubles,” Michigan coach Bruce Berque said. “This may have been the best doubles that he has played throughout the year and that’s kind of what we expect from him.”

The win and their 8-6 win over Wisconsin now makes Jung fourth all-time in career doubles victories at Michigan (85).

“It’s definitely an accomplishment and something to feel good about,” Jung said. “But for my last year, I’d like us to do well more than my personal goals.”

In addition to his strong doubles play, Jung had won five singles matches in succession after Jung won in convincing fashion at No. 2 singles (6-1, 6-4) versus Wisconsin on Saturday.

But Sunday’s encounter against Minnesota’s Tobias Wernet was a different story for the senior captain. Jung had previously played Wernet in a number of tight matches. This encounter played out similarly where one break of serve decided the opening set in Minnesota’s favor 6-4.

Despite the setback, Jung quickly fought back in the second set by breaking his opponent’s serve twice eventually taking it 6-1.

The momentum from the second set quickly faded as Jung’s opponent was in inspired form in the third set and took the advantage early on, 3-1, by breaking Jung’s serve.

“I had played him a couple of times and we had always had long battles,” Jung said. “I didn’t play particularly bad in the first set, just a couple of balls I missed in the first set and started to doubt myself. I knew I wasn’t playing bad so I just refocused tried to get my mind back.”

Eventually, Jung was defeated but not without a fight. He saved a number of match points while serving down 5-2 to cut the lead to 5-3. The next game was similar as the game went back and forth to deuce and saw Jung save several match points. But it wasn’t enough as Minnesota’s Wernet put the match away (6-4, 1-6, 6-3).

“Today he looked pretty good,” Berque said. “He’s played this guy three times in the last two years and each time it’s been exactly like this, just an absolute battle. He looked like he was doing a good job out there and he had some trouble finishing a few games, but I thought he fought to the end and he looked pretty good.”