For freshman Aisling Naughton, playing for the Michigan field hockey team was far from a certainty, but the team is ecstatic that it became reality.

Naughton, who hails from Goatstown, Ireland, has been a notable asset for the Wolverines and is leaving her mark in her first season. The defensive back is second on the team in goals (7) and third in points (18) and she’s been named Big Ten Freshman of the Week twice.

“She’s electrifying,” said Michigan coach Marcia Pankratz. “And that sets a tone for our team.”

While she plays with the comfort level of a veteran, it’s Naughton’s international journey that reveals poise and maturity beyond her years.

As a high school senior, Naughton didn’t plan to attend Michigan or even head to the U.S. for college.

“I had no plans to come to America, but in December (2011) I thought about it,” she said. “In March, a spot opened up and I signed my letter of intent. … By this time last year I thought I’d still be in Dublin.”

Perhaps it was the luck of the Irish for Michigan that the spot was available, because Naughton has been one of the team’s top players all season long. After having a quick change of heart and choosing to cross the Atlantic for college, a culture shock could be expected. But that hasn’t affected her play.

“I had never made an official visit so when I got off the plane August 8th, it was a bit scary,” Naughton said. “But the girls have been absolutely lovely. … The team’s been like a family.”

The Wolverines’ large international presence likely helped in her transition. Michigan has six international players from various areas of Canada and Europe who have created an atmosphere where homesickness doesn’t affect the team’s play.

“You want to be home because you feel like you’re missing out a little bit,” Naughton said. “When I look where I am, though, I’m really glad I’m here.”

Pankratz added: “Without question, there’s some adjustment and we try very hard to make them feel at home.”

Naughton’s ability to take such drastic life changes in stride and continue to pour in goals is impressive. But her ability to succeed while having to learn the intricacies of the American game is perhaps more notable.

While the core of the game is similar regardless of which side of the Atlantic you play on, Naughton concedes that there are large differences in the American game.

“It’s really attacking, it’s constantly go, go, go,” she said. “There’s a huge emphasis on fitness and the intensity in general.”

Her physical gifts certainly make the transition easier, as Pankratz called her the team’s “fastest player.”

Naughton continues to shine even with the obstacles working against her. With her bolstering the back line, Michigan has been able to continue its strong play from last year despite fielding such a young team.

The future is bright for both Naughton and the Wolverines, and it’s all because of a change of heart from a year ago in Ireland.