Monday, September 1, 2014

Glasgow pleads guilty to lesser charge of operating while visually impaired

Allison Farrand/Daily

By Jake Lourim, Summer Managing Sports Editor
Published June 16, 2014

Redshirt junior offensive lineman Graham Glasgow appeared in Ann Arbor District Court Monday for an operating while intoxicated charge and pled guilty to the lesser charge of operating while visually impaired.

Glasgow was arraigned June 2 and plead not guilty to the OWI charge from a March 15 incident. The city amended the charge Monday to operating while visually impaired, a misdemeanor punishable by up to 93 days in jail and a fine of up to $350. Glasgow will be sentenced July 14 at 10 a.m.

Judge Joseph Burke presided over the hearing and asked Glasgow for details about the night of March 15, when he was pulled over by Ann Arbor police officer Patrick Maguire. Maguire pulled over Glasgow’s Chevrolet Suburban when he noticed that there was a passenger hanging out the window shouting at pedestrians, according to the police report.

At the hearing, Glasgow confirmed most of the details in the police report — the only exception being the amount he had to drink. According to the police report, Glasgow told police that night he had consumed five light beers since about 3 p.m. In court Monday, Glasgow revised that estimate to 10 to 12 beers. He reaffirmed that he started at 4 p.m. at his house, then later took a nap and drove to New York Pizza Depot around 9 p.m.

“I was at my house. I started probably sometime around 4,” Glasgow told the judge. “I had — I’m not quite sure how much — 10 to 12 would probably be my rough estimate.”

Glasgow’s blood-alcohol concentration was .11 on the spot and .13 at the police station later.

Glasgow’s attorney, John A. Shea, asked that Glasgow be able to go home to Illinois to visit his parents from Wednesday through Monday during a break in football training. The judge originally adjourned the pretrial hearing from June 2 on the condition that Glasgow not leave the state or drink alcohol.

The judge allowed Glasgow to go home Wednesday but upheld the condition that he not drink alcohol.

“You understand that no alcohol means no alcohol,” Burke said, “even if your family is having alcohol.”

The judge released Glasgow on a $1,000 personal-recognizance bond. The Aurora, Illinois native has been suspended for the team’s season opener Aug. 30 against Appalachian State.