Thursday, April 24, 2014

Five Things We Learned: Notre Dame

Terra Molengraff/Daily

By Zach Helfand, Daily Sports Editor

This week, we learned Beyoncé is a Michigan fan, Eminem is a weirdo and Athletic Director Dave Brandon really likes flyovers. There was also a pretty good football game going on. Here are five other things we learned this week:

1. This offense is dynamic.

Yes, Michigan coach Brady Hoke loves his Michigan traditions, but so far, only the productive ones. That means the conservative, punt-happy approach is gone. Gone too, is the three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust offense of Michigan’s past. Michigan would love to run the ball up the middle, but not to the point of being stubborn.

Take Saturday. Notre Dame had a behemoth nose tackle clogging the middle. So Michigan took the fight to the edge. That’s not rocket science, but the game plan showcased Michigan’s versatility. In only the second week with a new offense, the Wolverines showed they have a deep playbook.

In the first drive alone, Michigan used a reverse, a double-reverse and quick pitches to the outside. Later on, offensive coordinator Al Borges used the pistol formation, the traditional I-formation and the shotgun. There were runs up the gut, stretch plays to the edge, strong play-action fakes and a sprinkling of read option.

This was arguably one of the best games called by Borges in his time at Michigan. Last year, Borges was criticized at times for predictability. Against Nebraska, his play calls displayed an unmistakable pattern. Against Ohio State, the Buckeyes knew what play would be run based on where Denard Robinson lined up.

Could Borges have been better? Probably. But he had few other options. Now he’s got the full complement of players.

Redshirt junior quarterback Devin Gardner could be a traditional drop-back passer. He finished with 294 yards and four touchdowns. Route combinations can be more complex with him as the passer. But his legs add a new wrinkle, one that allows the read-option to remain. It is especially potent in the red zone and on third downs.

The playbook is wide open. And Michigan’s offense has seldom looked this dynamic.

2. Gallon is even better than we thought.

Can we put to rest the argument that Michigan doesn’t have any weapons on the outside? Fifth-year senior wide receiver Jeremy Gallon is one. That much is glaringly obvious. Gallon had eight catches Saturday for 184 yards and three touchdowns. It was one of Michigan’s best receiving performances in recent memory.

Since Gardner took over at quarterback, Gallon has been Michigan’s receptions leader in every single game. Taking Gallon’s seven-game totals with Gardner as the passer, he’d be on pace for 80 receptions, 13 touchdowns and nearly 1,400 yards over a full 13-game season.

That’s not just a weapon on the outside. That would make him the best wide receiver in the Big Ten.

Gallon, who is listed at 5-foot-8, has long been overlooked because of his size. Notre Dame inexplicably left him open across the middle of the field again, and he torched them for a 61-yard touchdown.

But he is just as dangerous in traffic. In the second quarter, Gardner hit Gallon on a back-shoulder pass in tight coverage. Gallon knew where the ball would be before he turned around. On his second touchdown catch, he used his body to shield the defender and make a diving catch.

He’ll command extra attention on the outside, or he’ll burn opponents for it.

3. The defense can use more playmakers.

First the good: Michigan held Notre Dame to a respectable 23 points and limited big plays. The longest gain for Notre Dame on the game was 23 yards. No back had a run longer than 16 yards.

That was the game plan. Redshirt sophomore cornerback Blake Countess said the defense knew Notre Dame quarterback Tommy Rees liked to air out the ball. He could exploit man coverage with long fades. So Michigan played loose.

The plan worked and Michigan won, but this was more bend-but-don’t-break than overpowering dominance. Notre Dame hardly ran, but when they did it was alarmingly effective. The top two Fighting Irish backs averaged 5.3 and 7.4 yards a rush. A cornerback, junior Raymon Taylor, led the team in tackles. Thomas Gordon, a safety, was second.

More concerning was the lack of big defensive plays. Sure, Countess had the two game-changing interceptions, but the first was a bad pass, and the second hit off Taylor’s leg. The Wolverines need to force the issue more.

They didn’t do that on Saturday.