Wednesday, October 22, 2014

First Pitch: Softball Preview 2014

Paul Sherman/Daily

BY MICHIGAN DAILY SOFTBALL BEAT

The Daily softball beat has put together a preview for the opening of conference play. Get to know the Wolverines with details of who to look for at each position, a breakdown of the other Big Ten teams and a feature on pitchers Sara Driesenga and Haylie Wagner.

Positional Preview

Awaiting the opening of Big Ten play later this week, the No. 6 Michigan softball team has already learned a lot about its roster: This team has depth at the plate, in the field and on the mound.

Sizing Up The Big Ten

At Alumni Field, there’s a tradition of domination in the Big Ten. The Michigan softball team has 16 Big Ten Titles, 10 Women’s College World Series appearances and 36 straight winning seasons. The sixth-ranked Wolverines will have two ranked opponents in No. 14 Nebraska and No. 21 Minnesota in the conference. But starting this Friday, the Michigan softball team will begin its campaign toward becoming seventh straight Big Ten champions.

The show in the circle

Each pitcher’s high has been the other’s low. Each has had her worst year during the other’s best. Each has shown signs of greatness in her career. Many national champions have one great pitcher. Will one emerge, or will two?

On Softball: Wolverines don’t just talk the talk

This year, Hutch’s team has all the pieces to execute the phrases they echo so readily. And with the bulk of the non-conference schedule over, Michigan has already had its mettle tested when it comes to sticking to the Gospel of Hutchins.

|