Wednesday, October 22, 2014

For fifth straight season, Women's tennis loses in Big Ten Tournament final

Tracy Ko/Daily

By Jason Rubinstein, Daily Sports Writer

For the fifth straight year, the Big Ten Tournament title match proved to be the Michigan women’s tennis team’s downfall.

After winning a highly contested doubles point, the Wolverines couldn’t pull through in the singles, losing four matches en route to a 4-3 loss against No. 16 Northwestern.

“That was one of the best matches I have ever had the opportunity to coach,” said Michigan coach Ronni Bernstein. “Both teams battled so hard, all the way until the end. We put ourselves in a position to win and just couldn't come away with it.”

Michigan took the momentum early after the Wolverines’ top doubles pair of junior Emina Bektas and senior Brooke Bolender won a tiebreaker to get No. 17 Michigan on the board. Junior Sarah Lee and sophomore Amy Zhu then sealed the doubles point, winning 8-6 at the third spot.

But the momentum was short-lived as the Wolverines dropped five first sets to start the singles.

Michigan (11-0 Big Ten, 21-4 overall) however, won the second set in each of those matches and wasn’t going to lose out on the tournament title match for fifth straight time — a second straight to Northwestern.

After losing 4-3 to the Wolverines in Ann Arbor in the dual-match season, the Wildcats (10-1, 19-6) weren’t ready for the same result and knew what they would need to knock off Michigan. And it showed in their resilience to fight back and win three match-deciding third sets.

Things looked promising for Michigan early, which was vying for a complete Big Ten title after going undefeated in Big Ten play and winning its fifth straight Big Ten regular-season championship. Bektas and Bolender both won their third sets, putting Michigan up 3-1, needing only one more win to clinch the match and tournament.

The Wildcats, though, proved too tough. Lee dropped her third set and freshman Laura Ucros did the same, losing 6-4 in a third set tiebreaker.

“We dug ourselves into too big of a hole with the start we had singles,” Bernstein said, “but we really hung in there and turned a few matches that I wasn't sure if we could.”

The match was then in the hands of Ronit Yurovsky. The sophomore had her hands full all day against a strong defensive player, Belinda Nui, who dominated the first set and nearly pulled out the match in the second if not for Yurovsky’s aggressive play to stave off a match point and force a second-set tiebreaker.

Heading into the third it appeared Yurovsky had the match in cruise control, racing out to a 5-2 lead — a near-mirror image of the two players’ last match on April 5, when Yurovsky won in three sets — but Nui was never fazed by the lead.

She often forced long rallies, eventually leveling the set at five. The match then came down to will power and sticking to a simple game plan, which Nui executed to near-perfection, breaking Yurovsky and serving out the match.

The Wolverines won’t have much time to hang their heads — next weekend marks the start to the NCAA Tournament. Bernstein certainly won’t let this loss affect the team mentally, and will instead use it as a learning experience.

“It was a great match,” she said. “(It’s) just unfortunate that we had to come out on the short end.”

|