Tuesday, September 23, 2014

De los Angeles collects second all-around win

Allison Farrand/Daily

By Alex Taylor, Daily Sports Writer

What a difference two hours make.

Shortly before the men’s gymnastics meet was about to begin, sophomore Adrian de los Angeles huddled with Michigan coach Kurt Golder to decide if he was going to compete in all the events after sustaining an ankle injury earlier in the week.

Only two short hours later, de los Angeles stood on the mat, celebrating his all-around performance that ranks as the 11th-highest all-around score in NCAA history.

The all-around win, his second in as many weeks, helped the No. 3 Michigan men’s gymnastics team defeat No. 2 Stanford on Saturday night.

“It’s not surprising,” Golder said. “As a freshman, he made the senior U.S. national team last February. Hopefully, this February he will make it again. He’s just a real hard, steady worker.”

De los Angeles’s win was made possible by finishing first on vault, second on both parallel and high bars and third on floor exercise.

De los Angeles set career highs on his all-around, rings and parallel bar routines.

“It feels really good,” de los Angeles said. “I’m really happy I was able to do it consistently weekend after weekend, that’s what I’m working on this year.”

Though De los Angeles rolled the ankle during practice, he was able to put it behind him come meet time.

“I was able to heal it up, push it through,” de los Angeles said. “I just wanted to take it one event at a time and stay on the event, on the equipment as I was going through. The team hitting their routines really motivated and gave me the energy. It was good.”

The fact that de los Angeles was fighting through injury wasn’t lost on his teammates or coaches as they shouted encouragement and praise to the gymnast throughout the meet.

“He’s a gamer and can handle it,” Golder said.

De los Angeles also took home the all-around crown at the Windy City Invitational last week. As a result of this win, he was named Gymnast of the Week by College Gymnastics Association, NCAA and Big Ten.

After next week’s dual meet against California, de los Angeles will turn his attention towards the Winter Cup in Las Vegas, Nev. At this competition, gymnasts can qualify for the senior United States national team, as de los Angeles did last year.

But de los Angeles isn’t putting all his focus on the Winter Cup, just trying to take it one routine at a time.

“I want to continue to hit my routines, try and make them easier to do and just stay consistent for the team,” de los Angeles said.