Sunday, April 20, 2014

Breakdown: Michigan set for another heartstopper against Fighting Irish

Erin Kirkland/Daily

By Ben Estes, Daily Sports Editor

After two weeks of playing against subpar opponents — though Air Force certainly didn’t play like one — the No. 18 Michigan football team returns to stiffer competition this week with a primetime tilt against Notre Dame on the road.

And if recent trends hold true, it should be a barnburner. Each of the last three games in this series have come down to the final minute, with the Wolverines successfully leading last-ditch drives each time to come away with the win.

Senior quarterback Denard Robinson has been the story for the last two seasons, single-handedly acting as the Fighting Irish’s bane with back-to-back dominant efforts. But Robinson and his teammates appear to have a more formidable opponent this time around — No. 11 Notre Dame is off to its best start since 2002 — and they will square off under the lights for the second straight year.

Michigan rush offense vs. Notre Dame rush defense

Bad news for the Wolverines: they’ve still yet to get a dominant effort from their running backs. (Last week’s mutilation of Massachusetts doesn’t really count.) They need redshirt junior running back Fitzgerald Toussaint to return to his 2011 form, when he became one of the conference’s better runners. He’ll be hungry to perform against Notre Dame after missing the matchup last season with a shoulder injury.

Worse news for Michigan: the Fighting Irish front seven is as effective as its been in recent memory. At 326 pounds, Louis Nix is a strong anchor at nose tackle, and Manti Te’o is one of the best middle linebackers in the country.

In the past two weeks, the Fighting Irish held Purdue to just 90 rush yards and Michigan State to 50 yards on the ground. Notre Dame also did a solid job last year against Michigan, holding the Wolverines to a 4.4 yards per carry.

The X-factor, of course, is Robinson. But like Alabama, Notre Dame will likely do its best to force Robinson to beat the Fighting Irish through the air. They should be well-equipped to stymie his ground game.

Edge: Notre Dame

Michigan pass offense vs. Notre Dame pass defense

This might be the biggest mismatch of the game — which might come as a surprise, since most observers don’t see Robinson’s arm as a strength.

But the Deerfield Beach, Fla. native has shown much better accuracy and decision-making so far this season. The receiving corps, which was a question mark going into the year, has been solidified thanks to quarterback Devin Gardner’s position switch and the emergence of freshman tight end Devin Funchess. Their athleticism makes them mismatches for opposing defenses and big targets for Robinson.

More importantly for Michigan, the Notre Dame secondary is in rough shape. Safety Zeke Motta returns from last season, but fellow safety Jamoris Slaughter ruptured his Achilles’ tendon last week against Michigan State and is out for the season. Starting cornerback Lo Wood is also out for the year after injuring himself during fall camp.

Their replacements — Matthias Farley and KeiVarae Russell — are both inexperienced, former wide receivers. The unit hasn’t been bad this season, but it will still be plenty vulnerable. Robinson should be ready to exploit it, though he’ll have to watch out for Notre Dame’s Stephon Tuitt, a burgeoning star at defensive end.

Edge: Michigan

Notre Dame rush offense vs. Michigan rush defense

The Fighting Irish have a hydra of sorts at running back. Former receiver Theo Riddick and George Atkinson III split snaps with Cierre Wood, who’ll be playing in his second game after serving a two-game suspension at the start of the season.

While the team’s rushing attack hasn’t been great this season, Wood’s addition helps matters. (He had 60 yards on 10 carries against Michigan State). And plenty of questions surround Michigan’s front seven. True freshmen James Ross and Joe Bolden are talented, but their extensive playing time raises questions about the reliability of fifth-year senior Kenny Demens and health of sophomore Desmond Morgan.

Additionally, nobody on the defensive line has done much to distinguish himself for the Wolverines. With a veteran offensive line operating for Notre Dame, this is the matchup that could decide the game.

Edge: Notre Dame

Notre Dame pass offense vs.

|