Saturday, October 25, 2014

Block 'M' Blog: Michigan hockey Alum of the Week

Adam Glanzman/Daily

BY MATT SLOVIN
Daily Sports Editor

It’s Thursday.

Gather round, Michigan hockey fans, for the first weekly edition of Alum of the Week.

This week’s honoree will take you back to a simpler time, a time when a magical league called the National Hockey League actually played its games. That’s right, folks — we’re going all the way back to 2011.

The Wolverines are playing Miami (Ohio) this weekend, a small coincidence because the inaugural selection happened to de-pants a RedHawk defenseman by saucing the puck through his legs in a game last season. Knowing this particular player and his Texas-sized repertoire, he’d probably have attempted to one-up himself this weekend.

But, alas, he left Michigan one year before graduation to join the American Hockey League — a happy place where work stoppages are as common as a Children of Yost Christmas card to CCHA referees.

This week’s winner is forward Chris Brown of the AHL’s Portland Pirates. The Pirates are the league’s affiliate of the Phoenix Coyotes.

After starting with a minus-two game rating in the season opener, Brown’s been riding a nice, little hot streak.

His recent tear included a three-game point streak during which he scored his first-career professional goal in an 8-7 loss to the St. John’s Ice Caps. (No word on if the St. John’s defensemen and goaltender succeeded in keeping their pants on during the tally.)

During the milestone game, Brown ripped a total of four shots on goal and, not uncharacteristically, spent seven minutes in the penalty box.

It’s nice to see how little things change in one year’s time. Thanks for joining us on this little nostalgia trip, and congratulations to Chris Brown on taking home the hardware.

Matt Slovin longs for the days of 2011. He can be reached at mjslovin@umich.edu or on Twitter @MattSlovin.

|