Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Block 'M' Blog: Catching up with Pat Stansik

Courtesy of Pat Stansik

By Everett Cook, Daily Sports Editor

It’s Wednesday.

That means it’s time for our weekly Alumni Q&A, where I use magical tools like the Internet and telephones to track down former Michigan athletes. They could be close, they could be far, but I will find them.

I didn’t have to go very far for this week’s Q&A, which features Pat Stansik. The 24-year-old is a former club lacrosse player turned Ann Arbor YouTube sensation. If you are consuming adult beverages with a large number of people who are also consuming these adult beverages — also known as a pre-game, for those folks who hate fun — there’s a good chance Stansik will be there for his Pre-Gaming with Pat videos.

Stansik originally played two years of Division I lacrosse at Bucknell University before transferring to Michigan. In Ann Arbor, he joined the club lacrosse team before graduating in 2011, the spring before the team went from club to varsity.

If you have no idea who Pat Stansik is, check out his YouTube page, laugh for a while, and then come back and read this Q&A.

To the questions:

The Michigan Daily: Were you excited about the club lacrosse team going varsity, or were you a little mad?

Pat Stansik: I guess it’s just my luck they went varsity the year I graduated. It’s definitely a little bittersweet. Growing up in Ann Arbor, you always heard rumors of it happening, but I didn’t really think it was going to happen. Coach (John) Paul made a lot of it happen, and it’s really exciting and I’m really happy for them, but at the same time, part of me wishes it would have happened a little earlier.

TMD: How did the “Pre-Gaming with Pat videos” get started? Did you think they would take off as much as they did?

PS: I made one my senior year at Michigan, and that year they were
doing something called Mustaches for Michigan. I grew out a moustache and brought just a little flip cam with me to record some footage. I didn’t have any videos on my YouTube page or anything, this was just for fun to show a few friends. It didn’t take off, but it got a pretty good reception considering I had never uploaded a video before. Then I joined the club lacrosse team the next week, so I couldn’t keep making them for obvious reasons. I worked at an ad agency in the summer in Boulder, (Colo.) and didn’t really have a great experience, so I moved back to Ann Arbor to try and figure out what my next move would be. I figured I wanted to keep making videos and I liked the concept, so I figured why not try it with a little bit more professional equipment.

I guess there are two things for the motivation behind them: I grew up in Ann Arbor and I literally had no idea the pre-games were of this magnitude before I came here — it’s a lot different being a townie as opposed to a student. There’s a lot of stuff you miss. I thought it would be cool to document that. My other motivation was that Michigan kind of gets a bad rep of not being a party school, so it’s partly wanting to document a cool part of Michigan and also, a lot of people will come up to me and say, “I watched your videos and that’s part of the reason I came here,” so I just want to — I don’t want to say paying back Michigan — but show it in a different light than it’s usually portrayed.

TMD: How much of those videos are scripted?

PS: Usually, I’ll write out questions during the week. The first season, I didn’t really know what it was, so it took a little bit of figuring out what was funny and what worked. By this season, I kind of figured out what works and what doesn’t. The questions are definitely scripted, I write stuff out before hand. I try to have a song picked out before I go out during the day, so I know what I’m editing to, and try to have some sort of theme. For the Michigan State one, it wasn’t trying to bash Michigan State, but I have a lot of friends that go to MSU and it’s definitely the biggest rivalry game we play at home this year, so I wanted to make it more of a rivalry video.

|