Friday, August 1, 2014

Block 'M' Blog: Alumni Rundown Nov. 6

By Neal Rothschild, Daily Sports Editor

It’s Tuesday.

This means it’s time to read the Alumni Rundown. You may be treated like royalty when you come back to campus, but it doesn’t mean you won’t get solitary confinement in Dennison from me.

Last week marked the beginning of the NBA season, and with it, some action for two former Wolverines — though neither had much more than a cup of coffee in Ann Arbor. Unfortunately, the guys that stayed longer have all been shuttled across the pond, doing odd jobs to keep the dream alive. So much for staying in school paying off. I’m dropping out, momma and papa, you can save your money.

Jamal Crawford, the notorious volume shooter with a propensity for finding himself on mediocre teams, made everything in the first week of the season. The new addition to the Los Angeles Clippers played two years at Michigan before taking his ball-hogging talents to the NBA. He’s made the playoffs in just two of his 11 seasons and never made it past the second round. But now he’s on a title contender and is looking to play a big role. In the season opener, he made 10 of 14 shots to lead the Clips with 29 points. Three nights later, he had a co-game-high 27. He’s averaging almost 26 points per game, more than 10 over his career average. Just don’t look at his assist totals. For all your scoring, Jamal, you get to skip to the front of the line at Rick’s.

Michigan’s other two-year early deserter also playing in the Staples Center has had a different experience. Not that he’s played poorly, but Darius Morris is amidst the hysteria around the Lakers’ 0-3 (now 1-3) start. The latest dream team to be assembled features Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol and Steve Nash. Where Morris fits into this whole equation is pretty much as a third-string point guard behind Nash and Steve Blake. But because of an injury to Nash, Morris has seen significant time in the last two games, including Los Angeles’s win over the Pistons (his local team two years back) when he scored seven points. With Nash sidelined for some extended time, Morris might even be able to make a name for himself. For your place among the melodrama in Los Angeles, Darius, you get a front-row seat at Hill Auditorium.

On to football. Charles Woodson may be hurt, but his selfless deeds bring warmth to the hearts of us philanthropic-minded Wolverines. Charles Woodson? More like Charles “would someone give you a round of applause!” For your help of those in need, Chuck, you get a wing in the Nursing School in your name.

What a nice little Michigan reunion on Sunday for the Steelers-Giants game. Seven former Wolverines (current players and coaches) were on the field for Pittsburgh’s 24-20 win. And though Larry Foote, LaMarr Woodley and Ryan Bundy reaped the rewards of victory, it was Stevie Brown putting up the impressive numbers. Ten tackles for a strong safety, pretty good. For this Michigan pow-wow in the Meadowlands, you seven get to relive your Big House moments.

Big Mike has taken a big hit to the wallet. Recent graduate and current Tennessee Titans defensive tackle Mike Martin was fined $15,750 for a callous hit on Indianapolis Colts rookie quarterback Andrew Luck two weekends ago. That and the Titans were humiliated by the Chicago Bears this week, allowing 51 points in a blowout loss. To be fair, the defense only allowed 34 of those points. But after being in the rotation for most of the season, Martin only saw action on eight of 69 snaps. Not earning playing time on that defense? For this, Mike, you get solitary confinement in Dennison.