Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Baseball claims four All-Big Ten honors as Wolverines prepare for Omaha

Tracy Ko/Daily

By Brad Whipple, Daily Sports Writer
Published May 20, 2014

Michigan baseball coach Erik Bakich has preached all season about taking the positive aspects away from every game since they are neither good or bad, but instead good and bad.

And on the eve of the Big Ten Tournament, it should be no different — the Wolverines are likely looking for every silver lining they can find with their postseason hopes hanging by a thread.

Tuesday afternoon, though, Michigan found several.

The Big Ten named junior center fielder Jackson Glines to the All-Big Ten second team while sophomore shortstop Travis Maezes made the conference’s third team. In addition, freshman left-hander Brett Adcock and freshman designated hitter Carmen Benedetti earned All-Freshman honors.

After earning the Central Valley Conference’s MVP in 2013 while playing at Fresno City College, Glines transferred to Michigan, where he’s started all 56 games this year.

Previously a Big Ten Player of the Week in early March, Glines tops the Wolverine roster with a .338 batting average, good for sixth in the conference, in addition to having the most doubles (19) and hits (68). He is also ranked in the Big Ten’s top 10 in 10 other categories, including second-best in on-base percentage at .453.

Glines’ most memorable moment this season was his walk-off single against Iowa on March 30.

Though Maezes has made 15 errors, the most on the Wolverine squad, his contributions at the plate have proved extremely valuable — his highlight-reel moment came in Michigan’s first conference win against Indiana on March 21, when he hit a bases-clearing double to take a two-run lead over the Hoosiers and hand them one of their three conference losses this season.

With a third-best .293 batting average on the team, Maezes has had 17 multi-hit games this season, including a pair of home runs in a doubleheader against College of Charleston back in March.

As for the rookies, Adcock and Benedetti have quickly moved up in the rankings to show they deserve a spot on a Division I team.

Adcock, who started the season struggling in relief, has grown into a new niche as a weekend starter after several quality performances, such as his shutout pitching against Purdue and Northwestern, when he posted six strikeouts apiece.

Since the start of Big Ten play, Adcock has lowered his ERA by more than a run and a half. The standout freshman at the plate has been Benedetti with a .281 batting average and 26 RBI, only one shy of tying for first on the team. Benedetti’s biggest contribution of the season was during an extra-inning game against Purdue, when he doubled to break a 6-6 tie.

The recognition of these Wolverines is just another reminder of the potential Michigan (13-11 Big Ten, 28-27-1 overall) has in making a run in the Big Ten Tournament.

|