Thursday, April 24, 2014

Athletic Department faces negative reaction from dynamic ticket pricing

File Photo/Daily

By Greg Garno, Daily Sports Writer
Published July 31, 2013

It can spend hundreds of millions to upgrade athletic facilities without feeling major backlash, but when it raises ticket prices watch the wrath of Facebook commenters unfold.

On Wednesday, the Michigan athletic department released single-game individual tickets under its new dynamic ticket pricing policy, and fan reaction has been largely negative, to say the least.

Dynamic ticket pricing, which changes the ticket prices of tickets via computer based on the market’s demand, is in its infancy at Michigan. The athletic department could bring in up to $1 million in added revenue according to Hunter Lochmann, chief marketing officer for Michigan Athletics in early July. Some, like Forbes contributor and TiqIQ founder, Jesse Lawrence, predict that revenue could be up to or more than $5 million.

Prices for tickets such as the Wolverines’ second-ever night game against Notre Dame started at $260 in the endzone or $550 on the 45-yard line. Other tickets like those against Akron have not moved above $65 in the endzone.

Still, the price raise has fans upset, and many have taken to social media to share their opinions. Below are selected comments on the Michigan Football page — which has over one million likes — in response to the athletic department’s new policy.

Michigan also unveiled its rules for student general admission seating Wednesday on its official website.

On April 22, the athletic department revealed that all students will be seated on a first-come, first-serve basis as opposed to the normal method of issuing tickets based on class standing.

Now, students will be permitted to line up outside the stadium as early as 7 a.m. for noon and 3:30 p.m. kickoff games and as early as 11 a.m. for the Notre Dame game kicking off at 8 p.m. No students will be allowed to camp out overnight before a game.

Students will be lined up outside of Gate10 of the stadium — the designated student entrance — all the way along Greene Street. Once they are lined up, students will be given the opportunity to choose one of four chutes to go into, beginning with either H, O, K and E (hopefully this doesn’t require explanation).

Students will be issued wristbands to correspond with a section until the first 22 rows in each one are filled. From there, students will have the opportunity to sit wherever they choose.

Michigan’s first home game is on Aug. 31 against Central Michigan followed by Notre Dame the week after.