Thursday, October 2, 2014

Toohey capitalizes when it counts

By Alex Taylor, Daily Sports Writer
Published August 30, 2013

On a night when the No. 14 Michigan women’s soccer team had scoring opportunities at every turn, senior midfielder Meghan Toohey only needed one chance in overtime.

After controlling the ball about 25 yards from the goal on the left side of the field, Toohey’s shot beat the goalie and settled in the side netting, giving the Wolverines the win with just 26 seconds left in the first overtime period.

“I took the girl on, and I honestly just hit it as hard as I could,” Toohey said. “I don’t know if it was a shot or a cross but it went in, so I was good with it.”

On their way to the 2-1 overtime victory over Eastern Michigan, the Wolverines (3-0) took 23 shots, 10 on net, to go along with 11 corner kicks. Of the 10 shots on goal, Michigan had several quality chances that were somehow turned away by the Eagles sophomore goalie, Megan McCabe.

“I know we had some chances that we should have been better with,” said Michigan coach Greg Ryan. “But I have to credit them with their keeper playing well, and they were committed to not giving us anything easy.”

The Wolverines first goal came in the 33rd minute of the match when senior forward Shelby Chambers-Garcia took the ball down the left flank to the goal line and crossed the ball to freshman forward Madisson Lewis who volleyed it home for the first goal of the game.

Michigan had some quality scoring chances throughout the game, most notably in the 95th minute when senior Kayla Mannino bended a shot towards net only to be thwarted by a diving McCabe. Fifth-year senior Holly Hein also had two near-goals, both coming off corner kicks in each half. Hein was stopped point-blank both times by McCabe. Freshman midfielder Nicky Waldeck also had a shot turned away by McCabe.

“The header that Holly hit, you couldn’t hit it any better, and (McCabe) saved it,” Ryan said. “And (McCabe) took the one in overtime, Kayla’s (shot) spinning into the side netting and she gets two fingers on it and puts it past the post”

Michigan was unable to capitalize on most of its chances Friday but the Wolverines remain undefeated and have looked strong thus far.

“Sometimes things just don’t fall your way,” Toohey said. “It’s just really capitalizing on the chances you do have and not letting the ones you do miss go to your head.”

|