Thursday, December 18, 2014

Notebook: Suspended punter Will Hagerup to miss camp but will practice during the season

Erin Kirkland/Daily

By Zach Helfand, Daily Sports Editor
Published July 25, 2013

CHICAGO — Michigan coach Brady Hoke said Thursday that senior punter Will Hagerup will not report to camp, but he will be allowed to practice with the team during the season. Hagerup will redshirt after he was suspended before the Outback Bowl in January.

Hoke had said on May 7 that Hagerup would miss the 2013 season, but it was not clear what Hagerup’s role would be during the year off. Last year, he was named the Big Ten’s punter of the year. Shortly afterward, he was punished for an undisclosed violation of team rules.

Hagerup has found trouble every year at Michigan. As a freshman, he was suspended for the Ohio State game. The next year, he was suspended again for the first four games of the season.

Hoke has shown reluctance to dismiss a player from the team without a shot at redemption. Hagerup’s situation is similar to that of former receiver Darryl Stonum, who had a number of drunken-driving and probation-related offenses. When Stonum was arrested for driving while visually impaired in May 2011 — shortly after Hoke became coach — Hoke suspended him for the season. Only after Stonum violated probation again in Jan. 2012 did Hoke dismiss him.

“I could have told William, ‘We don’t want you back,’ ” Hoke said. “But I want to help William. That’s why you coach. You want to help that kid.”

O-LINE OUTLOOK: The typically tight-lipped Hoke shed some light on the battle for the three open interior lineman positions. At guard, redshirt freshmen Kyle Kalis and Ben Braden are the favorites. Redshirt sophomores Jack Miller and Graham Glasgow will compete at center.

In 2012, Michigan rushed for nearly 500 yards less than it had the previous year while surrendering 22 sacks. The offensive line returns both tackles, but lost all three linemen on the interior.

NOTEABLE QUOTABLE: Hoke doesn’t like any talk of a new 10 Year War between Ohio State and Michigan:

• “I think when you start trying to make a comparison of coach Hayes, coach Schembechler to coach Meyer and myself, that’s out of bounds, because those two guys were college football.”

One reporter asked Hoke if he second-guesses not playing Devin Gardner at quarterback sooner. Hoke’s response?

• “You know, in life I think we all do that. Whether you’re a coach or you’re a chef, whatever — you put too much garlic in something, and you second-guess yourself.”

Many players try to say as little as possible in the two hours of small interview sessions. And then there’s Nebraska quarterback Taylor Martinez. A reporter mentioned that his long run against Wisconsin in the Big Ten Championship Game put him on “a lot of lists as one of the bigger gamebreakers in college football.” Martinez was not impressed:

• “I’ve been doing that since I was a freshman. I broke so many 80-yard touchdowns. So I probably should’ve been on that list a while ago. I don’t know if I was or not. I’m probably the fastest player in college football, I would say.”

|