Monday, December 22, 2014

Big Ten Expansion: Rowing

File Photo/Daily

BY BO BRADARICH
For The Daily
Published December 10, 2012

If the Rutgers women’s rowing team is as skilled as it is smart, the Scarlet Knights will have no problem competing in the Big Ten. In any case, they should fit well in the conference.

Last year, the Rutgers squad boasted 23 rowers on the Big East conference all-academic team — an impressive figure, considering the team only has 46 total members. Though winning is a precedent of its own, Rutgers and Michigan value academic achievement above all.

“This is an exciting time here at Rutgers as this is a landmark day for the university moving into the Big Ten which will boost the school academically and athletically,” said Rutgers’ coach Max Borghard.

Athletically, the Scarlet Knights’ first varsity boat capped last season by placing second in the Knecht Cup finals on April 16 and second in the petite finals at the Big East Double Duel twelve days later.

The second varsity eight and first varsity four put up similar results in both regattas. Neither of these boats was able to capture a first place finish, but they were able to finish in the top five.

On the other hand, the addition of Maryland will have no effect on women’s rowing in the Big Ten. Though the Terrapins could face the Wolverines in non-conference regattas, they will be unable to compete for the Big Ten title because of their club status. And with Maryland’s recent financial struggles, resulting in the termination of seven varsity sports, giving the women’s rowing team a varsity promotion is the probably the least of the school’s concerns.