Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Yurovsky dominates ASU Thunderbird Invitational

By Simon Kaufman, Daily Sports Writer

Ronit Yurovsky knows a thing or two about dominance.

The freshman singles player was the 2012 National High School Senior Athlete of the Year, a two-time state champion and never dropped a regular-season match during her prep career.

At Arizona State’s Thunderbird Invitational Tournament this weekend, Yurovsky was just as dominant, as she won the singles title for the Michigan women’s tennis team. She defeated Arizona State’s Desirae Krawczyk 6-1, 3-6, 6-2 Saturday in the finals match, making her just the second Wolverine to win the tournament.

“I thought Ronit played really well this weekend,” said Michigan coach Ronni Bernstein. “She made some really nice improvements this fall, and I was really happy with her performance this weekend. She played some really tough competition and was able to come out with some good wins.”

In three of her five matches, Yurovsky was forced into a third set. Each time, though, she was able to come out on top.

“(It) just shows that she never stopped fighting and playing every point,” Bernstein said.

In perhaps her best showing of the tournament, Yurovsky topped No. 31 Tayler Davis of California 7-5, 7-5. Bernstein expressed after that this type of play “will only help her confidence as we head into the dual-match season.”

Michigan senior Mimi Nguyen entered the tournament as the No. 3 seed. She snatched her first singles win of the fall season on the tournament’s first day, defeating California’s Kelly Chui 6-3, 7-5. She couldn’t make it past the quarterfinals, where she lost to Krawczyk, 6-2, 6-3.

Sophomore Kristen Dodge was the final member of the Wolverine team who partook in the tournament. She went 2-1 in singles play after losing in the second round and teamed up with Yurovsky for doubles. The teammates won their first two matches before being defeated by a Kansas State duo on Sunday.

“This was a really good end to our fall season,” Bernstein said. “We talk about using the fall as a time to get better, work on the things that we need to and get some confidence for the upcoming dual-match portion of our season. We didn’t always play our best tennis this fall, but I think that we made some nice strides this fall.”

The team will begin tournament play again at the end of January, hosting the Michigan Invitational.

“We are going to take the next few months to continue to improve, work on our strength and conditioning and get ready for the upcoming season,” Bernstein said. “I am excited to see what this team will be able to do this season.”

|