Wednesday, April 23, 2014

How three Michigan football players helped a hero

By Everett Cook, Daily Sports Editor

Russell Bellomy thought a semi had just driven by his house. That’s how loud the collision was.

Fifth-year senior offensive tackles Taylor Lewan and Michael Schofield heard the bang, too. Upstairs, redshirt sophomore linemen Jack Miller and Graham Glasgow were sleeping, and so were some teammates a few houses down, including redshirt junior linebacker Jake Ryan.

Schofield had just badly beaten Bellomy, a redshirt sophomore quarterback, in a game of NFL Blitz on the house’s Nintendo 64. Lewan and Schofield remember it as Super Smash Bros., but Bellomy is positive it was NFL Blitz.

Outside, last Wednesday, it looked like the beginnings of a tornado, when the sky turns green and the wind begins to whip and there’s a hint of impending fury. There was smoke bellowing out from somewhere down the street, so Lewan and Schofield sprinted over.

Bellomy is out for the season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament. He didn’t sprint to the crash.

The three Wolverines stopped when they found the source of the smoke: a car that plowed into the porch of a house in between theirs and Ryan’s.

The car, going southbound on South State Street, had hit a fire hydrant next to Al Glick Field House — where the football team practices — before careening across two lanes of traffic and hitting a guard wire, the kind that stabilizes power lines. The porch finally stopped the uncontrolled vehicle, and that’s where Lewan, Schofield and Bellomy stepped in.

Lewan and Schofield remember pulling the driver out of the car and putting him on the ground, where he regained consciousness.

The group later found out that that the driver — whose name isn’t available due to privacy laws — is diabetic. He was low on blood sugar and had an uncontrollable coughing attack, which led to a rising heart rate, which led to a blackout and complete loss of control of the car.

The driver, though, remembers coughing, and then waking up on the lawn, according to Bellomy. Nothing in between.

“I really don’t know how the driver managed to miss all those trees, or the house next door full of our teammates or someone walking down the side of the street,” Bellomy said in a phone interview with the Daily on Monday. “He hit a transformer on the power pole that was right on the corner of State and Granger, the transformer blew on that. That pole could have fallen down … I don’t know. I don’t want to say it was fortunate how it worked out, but it could have been a lot worse.”

In the background, the first man on the scene was instructing the burly offensive lineman. He’s a military veteran with more than 15 years in the service and is now an athletic trainer.

Bellomy can remember the face of the man instructing them vividly, and that he was wearing a Boston Red Sox jersey and hat. This was on the same day as Game 1 of the World Series. The man was on his way to see a friend and probably watch the game, driving the opposite way of the crash victim.

But Bellomy never got his name. No one did. Everything was moving too quickly. It was the last thing they were all thinking about.

So next to Lewan and Schofield and Bellomy was this unnamed Red Sox fan, who said he spent more than 15 years in the military, forming a circle of help. When the driver regained consciousness, he told the group that he always keeps a chocolate bar in his trunk, which the military veteran then retrieved.

“He took over and knew exactly what to do,” Schofield said. “We were just there for assistance, I guess. It was pretty nuts though.”

After getting him to eat the chocolate, Bellomy smelled gas. The car was still on, and the key was jammed in the ignition before Lewan pried it out. Still, Bellomy smelled gas.

His thoughts jumped to movies. Gas means explosions. So, he put his arm under the armpit of the driver, and the Red Sox fan went under the other. They moved around the corner to where Ryan and several other Wolverines live, and again placed him on the ground.

Soon after, the wires from the electrical pole went haywire when the transformer box blew up. The lawn lit on fire, as did the sidewalk. Not a huge, raging fire, but a fire nonetheless. The burn scars are still there, on the same sidewalk the Michigan players use to walk to practice every day.

It was Lewan, the tattooed, 6-foot-8, 315-pound All-American tackle, who helped to calm the driver down until the ambulance arrived about 10 minutes after the players reached the scene.

|