Friday, October 24, 2014

Denard Robinson will play wide receiver at Senior Bowl

Adam Glanzman/Daily

By Zach Helfand, Daily Sports Writer

Denard Robinson will play wide receiver in the Senior Bowl, according to a report by the Associated Press. The Detroit Free Press first reported the change of positions on Jan. 9.

Robison, the former Michigan quarterback, caught just three passes in his career, all three coming last season, for a total of 31 yards. But in 2012, Robinson sustained an injury to the ulnar nerve in his right elbow on Oct. 27, limiting him to just one wobbly incomplete pass in the final five weeks on the season.

During that time, Robinson — who holds the NCAA record for rushing yards by a quarterback with 4,495 — played mostly as a strictly running quarterback or tailback, though he did play some wide receiver.

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. has said repeatedly that Robinson could help his draft stock by switching positions. Robinson threw for 6,250 during his career with a 57.2 completion percentage and 49 touchdowns against 39 interceptions.

According to the Associated Press report, Senior Bowl executive director Phil Savage said Robinson’s skills are “comparable to Antwaan Randle El,” the former Indiana quarterback who played nine seasons in the National Football League at wide receiver.

The Senior Bowl, a pre-NFL Draft all star game of collegiate players, will be played Jan. 26 in Mobile, Ala.

|