Friday, April 18, 2014

Breakdown: Michigan at Connecticut

Todd Needle/Daily

By Zach Helfand, Daily Sports Editor

Only in college football can a win feel so empty. The Michigan football team was expected to blow out lowly Akron. Instead, the Zips came within yards of one of the biggest upsets in Michigan history.

The week leading up to the Wolverines’ trip to Connecticut has felt different than last week, though. Players spoke of embarrassment and redemption. They said this week has been more intense. The team feels like it has something to prove.

What’s waiting at the end of the long week is a UConn team just marginally better than Akron. This is another game Michigan should dominate.

Either way, the Wolverines will learn a lot about themselves. Was the Akron game an aberration? Or maybe Notre Dame just wasn’t as good as it seemed. To convince the skeptics, they must not only win this week but win big. If they do, here’s how:

Michigan pass offense vs. Connecticut pass defense

This matchup, as will be the case the entire year, depends on the play of redshirt junior quarterback Devin Gardner. If he protects the ball, Michigan will have no problem passing over the Huskies’ secondary.

That has been an issue for him this year, though. So far, he has thrown six interceptions in three games and added a fumble last week against Akron.

The good news for Michigan is UConn’s fearsome 2012 defense has been defanged in 2013. That unit, which ranked ninth in the nation in yards allowed, returns less than half of its starters.

Last year, defensive coordinator Don Brown was masterful at creating pressure. He left for Boston College and took the pass rush with him. This year? The Huskies have zero sacks through two games. That’s somehow even worse than Michigan’s pass rush.

UConn’s cornerbacks are solid but unspectacular. Byron Jones is a converted safety. Obi Melifonwu is young — he’s just a redshirt freshman, filling in for an injured starter. Gardner should be able to target his side of the field.

Gardner usually isn’t bothered by pressure, but he was against Akron. That may have just been a one-game abnormality. If he doesn’t rebound against this team, then it’s time to worry.

Players to Watch: CB Obi Melifonwu

Edge: Michigan

Michigan rush offense vs. Connecticut rush defense

In the ground game, a highly moveable object meets a so-far stoppable force.

Through two games, UConn’s rush defense has been abysmal. The Huskies have allowed an average of 212.50 yards per game, good for 104th in the FBS. That figure looks even worse when considering the opponents: Towson — an FCS team — and lowly Maryland. UConn lost both games by double digits.

In the middle, the Huskies are actually rather stout. Middle linebacker Yawin Smallwood is the defense’s best player and a professional prospect. He already has 30 tackles in three games.

Defensive tackles Julian Campenni and Shamar Stephen both started games in 2012, and they weigh a combined 611 pounds.

Michigan’s young interior line has struggled so far in the season, which could give it trouble. So much so that Michigan coach Brady Hoke and offensive coordinator Al Borges both left open the possibility of shaking up the starters.

The Wolverines should find room to the outside. But the lack of an inside running game has hurt Michigan this year, and that’s where the battle will be again.

Players to Watch: MLB Yawin Smallwood, DT Julian Campenni, DT Shamar Stephen

Edge: Push

Connecticut pass offense vs. Michigan pass defense

UConn quarterback Chandler Whitmer is proficient at completing passes. He has a 61-percent completion rate this season.

Problem is, he’s proficient at completing passes to the other team, too. Last year, Whitmer threw 16 interceptions — one off the highest totals in the country.

Though he is mistake-prone, he is an able passer. On the outside, Shak Phillips is a physical receiver who has some speed and could give the Michigan secondary trouble. Akron beat Michigan on multiple well-executed fly routes. If Michigan doesn’t force turnovers, UConn could do the same.

Whitmer can absorb contact well, which is a good thing because the Huskies have allowed 10 sacks through two games this year, good for 116th in the country.

|