Friday, October 24, 2014

Michigan linebacker Jake Ryan out indefinitely with torn ACL

Adam Glanzman/Daily

By Zach Helfand, Daily Sports Editor

Redshirt junior linebacker Jake Ryan sustained a torn anterior cruciate ligament in practice Tuesday, the Michigan football team announced Wednesday. Ryan is out indefinitely, and based on standard recovery times for the injury, it is likely he will miss part, if not all, of the 2013 season.

Ryan emerged as Michigan’s leading tackler and its most dynamic difference maker in 2012. He recorded 88 tackles, including 16 for loss, 4.5 sacks and four forced fumbles — all tops on the team. He was named to the All-Big Ten second team by the media.

“You always hate when anyone gets injured, and unfortunately we’ve dealt with our share of injuries in the last 12 months,” said Michigan coach Brady Hoke in a statement. “We will support Jake to make sure he has everything he needs to get through this. I know he will attack his rehabilitation just like he does everything else and will be back when he's ready.”

The competition for strong-side linebacker will likely be between fifth-year senior Cameron Gordon — who impressed in winter workouts, according to Hoke — and sophomore linebacker Joe Bolden, who typically plays on the weak side.

Recovery time for an ACL tear typically takes a year, though that time varies by person. Adrian Peterson, running back for the Minnesota Vikings, tore his ACL on Dec. 24, 2011 but was able to return for the start of the 2012 NFL season.

Ryan already redshirted his freshman year and cannot be granted a sixth year of eligibility through a medical redshirt in 2013 unless Michigan can show Ryan redshirted his freshman year because of an injury or other circumstances beyond his control.

|