Opinion

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

From the Daily: Scoring Schools

BY THE MICHIGAN DAILY

President Barack Obama’s speech at the University in January focused on the main issue pertinent to college students: the costs and benefits of an education. He proposed the idea of a comprehensive college scorecard. Applying to colleges, deciding which school to attend and paying for an education is stressful enough without having to scour websites for accurate information to compare schools. The introduction of Obama’s College Scorecard would benefit prospective students and their families, but only if the information is accurate.

The College Scorecard is supposed to be an easy and effective way to compare the price, graduation rates, statistics on student loans, and the number of students attending in debt. Some even provide potential earnings statistics. Hours spent flipping through the pages of the Insider’s Guide to Colleges or clicking through collegeprowler.com could be eliminated with the introduction of this scorecard.

However, the recent influx of stories about colleges inflating their statistics in the hopes of raising their national rank makes this type of continued comparison a cause for concern. A senior official in the Claremont University Consortium revealed that he had been inaccurately reporting SAT scores by 10 points or encouraging students to retake the SAT after already being admitted. Even graduate schools such as Cooley Law School became caught up in the ranking frenzy and lied about statistics to earn a higher spot. The College Scorecard needs to contain true information and not just be another forum for college advertisement.

With truthful information, the College Scorecard will help people all over the country choose an education that is affordable and of high quality.