Friday, August 29, 2014

Weekend Roundup 1/10 - 1/12

By Alicia Adamczyk, Daily Staff Reporter

Welcome back! This weekend, University students can join clubs before their course workload becomes too intense, or check out major Oscar-contending films. Is your student group hosting an event this weekend? Tell us about it in our comments section or e-mail Alicia Adamczyk at aalicia@umich.edu.

Friday, January 10

“Saving Mr. Banks” and “American Hustle” are playing at the Michigan Theater and State Theater. Both were featured in the Daily’s Best of 2013: Top 10 Films. See for yourself if the films are worth the Oscar buzz.

“‘Hustle’ could have been a cheap cop drama, a 1970s sleaze-fest or a serious quasi-documentary,” wrote Daily Arts Editor Natalie Gadbois. “Through transcendent performances from all the leads and (director David O.) Russell’s brilliantly wacky script, it’s instead a forceful and uproarious story that defies genre.”

The Dicks and Janes, a co-ed a cappella club, will hold its winter auditions from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. in Burton Tower.

Friday also marks the return of Freshman Fridays at the Career Center, where first-year students can enjoy food, Xbox and each other’s company from noon to 1:30 p.m.

Saturday, January 11

If you missed Festifall last semester and are searching for a music-related club to join, the University’s Michigan Electronic Dance Music Association is having its winter mass meeting in Palmer Commons at 11 a.m. Or, you can tryout on the second day of the Dicks and Janes auditions, being held from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in Burton Memorial Tower.

“Michigan Electronic Dance Music Association has grown to be a group with hundreds of members, friends and fans,” said LSA junior Nicholas Danowski, MEDMA’s president. “Our members are composed of music lovers, producers, DJs, EDM initiates and people who love to get down and dance.”

The University of Michigan Dance Team will host a Pre-Nationals Friends and Family Performance at 2 p.m. at the Cliff Keen Arena The team will perform its two routines for the Universal Dance Association National Dance Team Championship, among others, in preparation for the competition next weekend in Orlando, Fla.

“This year we have a beautiful jazz routine and a strong, entertaining hip hop routine that really showcase all the girls’ talent,” said Engineering senior Amy Domino, a captain of the Dance Team. “We can’t wait to compete at nationals and we are excited to perform our dances for all our friends and family this Saturday before we head off to Florida.”

Ready to bust a move Saturday night? Dance Marathon is hosting a charity ball starting at 8 p.m. in the Michigan Union. Tickets are $15 at the door. Get your groove on and give to a good cause at the same time.

Sunday, January 12

For the lox lovers out there,University of Michigan Hillel will host its first Bagel Brunch of the semester from 10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. According to the Facebook event, the brunch will allow students to “have a little schmooze” as they enjoy free coffee and bagels with lox and schmear.