Friday, October 24, 2014

UMPD arrests West Quad rape suspect

By Taylor Wizner, Daily News Editor

University Police have arrested a suspect in the Jan. 13 rape that was reported at West Quad.

University Police spokeswoman Diane Brown said the male pictured in the images and video released by University Police has been identified as the suspect in the case. He is a student at the University.

A female student told University Police she was raped in a common area in West Quad residence hall in the early morning of Jan. 13 by a male subject after they walked to the University building together following an off-campus party.

The suspect was arrested after University Police received a tip, Brown said. Brown did not specify if the suspect was arrested at his home or if he turned himself in.

The suspect was released Saturday morning as investigators continue to look for more information to submit to the Washtenaw County Prosecutor’s office.

Police canceled the crime alert Saturday around 3:30 p.m. after the suspect was arrested Friday evening. The department sends out crime alerts when it feels a crime could pose a continuous threat to the University community.

The University’s Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center is open Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Michigan Union. It also offers a 24-hour crisis line at (734) 936-3333.

Correction appended: A previous version of this article misstated that the tip UMPD received was anonymous.