Friday, October 24, 2014

UGLi to open 24/7 starting October 1

By Carly Fromm, Daily Staff Reporter

As midterm season approaches, students suffering through a marathon pre-exam study session will soon no longer have to pack up and leave the comfort of the Shapiro Undergraduate Library at 5 a.m.

On Oct. 1, the UGLi will become accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Stephen Griffes, the information resources supervisor for University libraries, said the decision was made in response to years worth of requests from students to extend the hours.

“The students have been asking for 24 hours for a really, really long time, so we’re really happy to finally be able to do it,” Griffes said.

The UGLi’s current hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 5 a.m., Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 5 a.m. on the weekends. To ensure a smooth transition, the library is hiring two additional staff members, Griffes said.

Lynne Raughley, the interim communications director for the University’s libraries, said the University has always been aware of the demand for increased library access, but it took time to implement the change due to the additional resources needed.

“The library strives in all ways to meet the needs of students in every way that it can and I think this is just one of the things that people feel like they need,” Raughley said. “We’re glad to finally be able to make it happen.”

Griffes said the UGLi is instituting its own safety measures to accompany the 24-hour access policy, and students will be required to swipe their MCards upon entrance between midnight and 7 a.m. He added the students can also still take advantage of the Ride Home service that runs from 2 to 7 a.m. to provide free transit back home for students studying late.

To accommodate for caffeine-driven students, Bert’s Café — located in the lobby of the UGLi — will soon test out a 24-hour schedule a few days a week to see how it’s received by students, according to Bert’s manager, Laura Golze. The café is currently open until 1 a.m., and Golze said the trial period could begin as early as after fall break.

LSA senior Satenig Mirzoyan said she has been at the UGLi until 5 a.m. during exam week and plans to take advantage of the new extended access.

“The fact that its 24 hours now means if you are having a late night or have a paper due you don’t have to go scavenge for another place to study,” Mirzoyan said.

Mirzoyan also expressed interest in a 24-hour café as a means to fuel her late-night study sessions.

“I think it’s a great idea,” Golze said. “I think a lot of students want to study, especially during exam time, so I’m happy that they’re going 24 hours. I think they should have done this a long time ago.”

LSA sophomore Wayne Lam said he especially likes the idea of a 24-hour café.

“In the past I’ve always been here pretty late studying for classes,” Lam said. “I think it’s a good idea, but maybe Bert’s could stay a little later also.”

|