Friday, October 24, 2014

Police arrest three people in DeWolf murder case

By Peter Shahin, Daily News Editor

Three people have been arrested in connection with the July murder of Medical School student Paul DeWolf.

DeWolf, a Second Lieutenant in the United States Air Force, was found dead from a single gunshot wound to the neck in his room at the Phi Rho Sigma medical fraternity on North Ingalls Street on July 24. Police have been investigating the DeWolf case for nearly three months.

In a statement, Ann Arbor Police Chief John Seto said the three suspects arrested do not have any apparent affiliation with DeWolf, the University or the Air Force. The suspects have not yet been arraigned and police are continuing their investigation and evidence gathering.

Police do not believe there are any further suspects.

DeWolf was discovered dead in his apartment by a coworker after he failed to report to his shift at the Ann Arbor Veterans Affairs Healthcare System. According to reports, nothing was stolen from DeWolf’s apartment and Ann Arbor Police Lieutenant Robert Pfannes said in July that the apartment was “orderly and valuables appeared to have been untouched.” No firearm was found at the scene.

The Ann Arbor Police Department was assisted in their inquiry by the Air Force Office of Special Investigations, FBI, the U.S. Marshals Service and University Police. In the immediate aftermath of the homicide, police increased patrols around the North Ingalls area. AAPD also offered a $10,000 reward for anyone with information about the homicide. Pfannes said Thursday the reward was not claimed in the investigation.

University President Mary Sue Coleman concurrently issued a statement addressing the arrest and thanking AAPD for their diligence in continuing the investigation.

“We hope today’s developments provide some solace to Paul DeWolf’s family and friends, who remain in our thoughts,” Coleman said. “We will now join the greater Ann Arbor community in awaiting the outcome of the judicial process in this case.”

UMPD Chief Joe Piersante echoed Coleman in his remarks, adding that he hopes the latest development will help bring closure for DeWolf’s family.

“We very much appreciate the diligent and persistent efforts of the officers in the Ann Arbor Police Department who tirelessly continued to seek justice for our community. We are extremely pleased with this development, which will help bring closure to this tragedy for our community and the DeWolf family. Our thanks to Chief John Seto for the collaborative investigation that included the involvement of several U-M police officers. While we all should remain vigilant for our personal safety, thanks to the efforts of these officers, we know that our streets are a little bit safer and that justice will be served.”

The University of Michigan Health System also released a statement, saying it will continue to provide support to students and staff as the inquiry continues.

“The loss of Paul DeWolf was a terrible shock and tragedy for our entire Medical School community, and we are heartened by this development and thankful for the diligent work of the U-M police and the Ann Arbor Police Department,” the statement read. “We trust his family will draw comfort from this development, and that closure will ensue for them, our Medical School community and the broader Health System. We will continue to provide support to our students, faculty and staff as the judicial process unfolds.”