Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Police report student raped by taxi driver

By Taylor Wizner, Daily News Editor

A 21-year-old female student has reported that she was raped early Sunday morning by a taxi driver in an off-campus parking lot.

University Police released a crime alert Sunday afternoon alerting students to the alleged incident, which was reported by Ann Arbor Police.

The student was picked up by an “unknown taxi” from the 1200 block of South University Avenue at 2 a.m. Sunday morning, according to the alert. The alert notes that the driver was supposed to take the student back to her off-campus apartment, but instead took her to a parking lot located on the 300 block of East Madison, where he allegedly raped her.

AAPD describes the driver as a white male with brown hair. AAPD Lt. Renee Bush declined to release a description of the taxicab or any further information about the incident Monday.

This is the second rape reported to police this term. Holly Rider-Milkovich, the director of the University’s Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center, said in a Jan. interview that resources are available for all those impacted by sexual violence in the community.

“SAPAC is for everyone in the University community,” Rider-Milkovich said. “We focus specifically on providing support to survivors of sexual assault, intimate partner violence, sexual harassment and stalking, as well as family members and friends who are also impacted.”

She added: “We realize when these things happen in our community, it impacts everybody around the incident, not just the survivor. We’re here for all members of the community.”

The University’s Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center is open Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Michigan Union. It also offers a 24-hour crisis line at (734) 936-3333.

Story updated: This story was updated with comment from AAPD Lt. Renee Bush and the age of the survivor at 2:50 p.m. Monday.