Friday, April 18, 2014

Senior Goodbyes 2012

Adam Glanzman and Terra Molengraff/Daily

BY THE MICHIGAN DAILY

Published December 10, 2012

Aida Ali
Senior Editorial Page Editor

I remember my first editboard. I was a freshman, new to the country and too afraid to speak my mind – What if the Americans thought my ideas were crazy?

After being thoroughly intimidated in this first meeting, I faced the fact that the Daily was probably not for me. I didn’t have to do something if it terrified me, right?

But my curiosity got the better of me. I had to know what these people talked about behind closed doors. So I made myself go back, and after a couple more weeks of being the girl who never spoke at editboard, I somehow fit in. I found myself a nice little place in this scary new world of mine. And there was no looking back.

I thank curiosity everyday for making me step back into that room – which has itself become an individual with knowledge, ideas and of course, opinions – and helping me pen my own identity in a tradition more than 120 years old. I am extremely fortunate to have met some of the smartest, most talented and funniest people I know.

You guys changed my life.

Zach Bergson
2011 Managing Design Editor

In 10th grade, I nearly failed art. Long story short, I couldn’t draw a straight line and still can’t. Before starting college, if you were to tell me that I would be in charge of designing and laying out a daily newspaper, I probably would have laughed in your face.

But that’s what The Daily is all about, right? It molds minds, teaches its cultish acolytes how to do things that they never thought they could do (like working 45+ hours a week with a full course load) and gives twenty year olds the creative power that most people won’t have again until at least their thirties.

I owe my college experience to this institution. Without The Daily, I don’t know what college would have been like, but I cringe at the thought of this alternative universe.

I’d like to give a special thank you to Sarah Squire for bringing me into this (Daily) world. Without you, I would have never had the confidence to run for Managing Design Editor when I was a lost and confused sophomore. And thank you to everyone else who taught me how to write, report, edit photos and learn what CMYK stand for. I couldn’t have done it without you.

P.S.: Newseds 2011 — I know it may have been obvious, but I wanted to be a SNE that whole year. Thanks for playing along and teaching me the basics of reporting.

Bethany Biron
Managing News Editor

I had been warned.

It was early August 2009, and as I stood mingling among family at my cousin’s wedding, I suddenly felt a tug on my arm. My mom insisted there was someone I should meet.

She introduced him as David Katz, a friend of my cousin’s from Stanford and the managing photo editor at the Daily during his time as an undergrad. As my mom gushed about my dreams of being a reporter in that proud way moms do, he set down his champagne flute, shook my hand and with an all-knowing smile said, “Whatever you do, don’t let the Daily suck you in.”

A few months later, it was too late. Somewhere between seeing my first byline in print and skipping philosophy lecture to cover a rally, I was completely and utterly hooked.

My infatuation with the Daily endured — through sleepless nights, neglected assignments and trials and tribulations that left me wondering why I willingly chose to spend more than 50 hours a week in the newsroom. Though my love for the institution was undoubtedly tested, it always prevailed. The Daily became my family, my home away from home, the place where I truly belonged.

I don't know if I will ever again experience the rush of covering a breaking news story or the camaraderie I felt working alongside the Daily's incredibly talented and compassionate staff. What I do know is that I will forever cherish the relationships I’ve developed with some of the most hardworking and inspiring individuals I’ve ever met.

|