Thursday, October 30, 2014

Senior Goodbyes 2012

Adam Glanzman and Terra Molengraff/Daily

BY THE MICHIGAN DAILY

Published December 10, 2012

Aida Ali
Senior Editorial Page Editor

I remember my first editboard. I was a freshman, new to the country and too afraid to speak my mind – What if the Americans thought my ideas were crazy?

After being thoroughly intimidated in this first meeting, I faced the fact that the Daily was probably not for me. I didn’t have to do something if it terrified me, right?

But my curiosity got the better of me. I had to know what these people talked about behind closed doors. So I made myself go back, and after a couple more weeks of being the girl who never spoke at editboard, I somehow fit in. I found myself a nice little place in this scary new world of mine. And there was no looking back.

I thank curiosity everyday for making me step back into that room – which has itself become an individual with knowledge, ideas and of course, opinions – and helping me pen my own identity in a tradition more than 120 years old. I am extremely fortunate to have met some of the smartest, most talented and funniest people I know.

You guys changed my life.

Zach Bergson
2011 Managing Design Editor

In 10th grade, I nearly failed art. Long story short, I couldn’t draw a straight line and still can’t. Before starting college, if you were to tell me that I would be in charge of designing and laying out a daily newspaper, I probably would have laughed in your face.

But that’s what The Daily is all about, right? It molds minds, teaches its cultish acolytes how to do things that they never thought they could do (like working 45+ hours a week with a full course load) and gives twenty year olds the creative power that most people won’t have again until at least their thirties.

I owe my college experience to this institution. Without The Daily, I don’t know what college would have been like, but I cringe at the thought of this alternative universe.

I’d like to give a special thank you to Sarah Squire for bringing me into this (Daily) world. Without you, I would have never had the confidence to run for Managing Design Editor when I was a lost and confused sophomore. And thank you to everyone else who taught me how to write, report, edit photos and learn what CMYK stand for. I couldn’t have done it without you.

P.S.: Newseds 2011 — I know it may have been obvious, but I wanted to be a SNE that whole year. Thanks for playing along and teaching me the basics of reporting.

Bethany Biron
Managing News Editor

I had been warned.

It was early August 2009, and as I stood mingling among family at my cousin’s wedding, I suddenly felt a tug on my arm. My mom insisted there was someone I should meet.

She introduced him as David Katz, a friend of my cousin’s from Stanford and the managing photo editor at the Daily during his time as an undergrad. As my mom gushed about my dreams of being a reporter in that proud way moms do, he set down his champagne flute, shook my hand and with an all-knowing smile said, “Whatever you do, don’t let the Daily suck you in.”

A few months later, it was too late. Somewhere between seeing my first byline in print and skipping philosophy lecture to cover a rally, I was completely and utterly hooked.

My infatuation with the Daily endured — through sleepless nights, neglected assignments and trials and tribulations that left me wondering why I willingly chose to spend more than 50 hours a week in the newsroom. Though my love for the institution was undoubtedly tested, it always prevailed. The Daily became my family, my home away from home, the place where I truly belonged.

I don't know if I will ever again experience the rush of covering a breaking news story or the camaraderie I felt working alongside the Daily's incredibly talented and compassionate staff. What I do know is that I will forever cherish the relationships I’ve developed with some of the most hardworking and inspiring individuals I’ve ever met. I will always recall with a smile memories of late night dance parties, heated games of foursquare, laughter to the point of tears and passionate discussions that extended into the wee hours of the morning.

There’s a part of me that wants to be a little selfish and say this place can’t go on without me. But if I’ve learned anything, it’s that the Daily is timeless, and will always keep on. I will forever be grateful for the opportunities it has provided me and feel honored to have been able to make my mark. Thank you to everyone who made it such a special, wonderful place. You mean more to me than you’ll ever know.

Leah Burgin
Managing Arts Editor

Looking back, I am humbled by everything the Daily has meant to me throughout my years as a writer and an editor. In its broadest strokes, the Daily has been a place where I can hang out with some of the funniest, most intelligent and passionate people I’ve ever met, a challenging environment in which I’ve been able to constantly learn and grow as an individual and an institution that has fostered a deep sense of community, belonging and purpose.

I can only hope that, during my time as MAE, I have given back to Daily and, especially, to all the writers and editors in the Arts section. I want to thank y’all for allowing me this tremendous opportunity. And, to the crop of 2013 editors: Have fun! It goes faster than you think.

Dylan Cinti
Co-Magazine Editor

Thank you to Gary Graca for the high-five my first day in the newsroom, and thank you to everyone else who's given me similar encouragement over the years. The Daily's output these last three and a half years is remarkable. I'm grateful to have played a small part. My only hope is that future editors work harder than I did to correct the Daily's policy against covering suicides. Journalists must play a role in the collective healing process.

Beth Coplowitz
Senior Copy Editor

When I decided to join the Daily staff as a copy editor my second semester of sophomore year, I was both intimidated and excited. I was still trying to find my place at the University of Michigan, and decided that taking advantage of my quirky love for grammar and copy editing at the Daily was the best way to do that (because editing my friends’ papers just wasn’t doing it for me anymore). During my time there, I have met some amazing people and have been a part of something much bigger than myself. Everyone who works there is extremely motivated, passionate, and dedicated to this school and this newspaper (because let’s be honest, we certainly aren’t doing it for the paychecks). As a senior copy editor, I have spent countless long nights at the Daily, but the knowledge that I have helped make the paper just a little bit better and that my contribution makes a significant difference in the overall quality of the paper makes it all worthwhile. It is the hard work of every single person who works at the Daily that culminates in the production of an outstanding newspaper each day, something we should each be proud of. I’m going to truly miss the Daily because my college experience would not be the same without it.

Matt Easton
Film Editor

Wow, it’s time to say goodbye to the Daily. I came as a kid with a dream of writing movie reviews that maybe a few people might get pissed off by, and left having accomplished that goal. Along the way I learned to joys of mixin’ up Tao’s, post-games at Sharon’s, “Game of Thrones” board game playing, drunken viewings of “In Bruges,” and
arguing movies ad museum. Thanks for everything — Film Squad forever!

Andrew Eckhous
Daily Arts Writer

Like every 9 a.m. class I’ve ever had, I showed up late to the Daily. I didn’t start until my Junior year, but in the time since then I’ve had the privilege of nerding out hardcore about Wu-Tang, Waka Flocka Flame and a lot of things that no one else cares about. Thanks to all of the great writers I’ve met for inspiring me to be better, and thanks to the readers for reading (or at least for skimming).

Ben Estes
Senior Sports Editor

This might not be good. But I promise it’ll be from the heart — just like hopefully everything has been over my last four or so years at the Daily.

I’ve probably spent more time at 420 Maynard than anywhere else on campus during my time at this amazing school — which is pretty funny, since I remember thinking when I first came in for a mass meeting that these people were fools for
spending so much time here on a Sunday, let alone the rest of the week. Guess I’m a pretty big fool, too.

There’s no glory that comes from working here — just pride. Pride in working side by side with some of the best young sportswriters in the country, pride in reading some of the stuff that your coworkers write and just shaking your head at how good it is, pride in being able to contribute to that in some small way.

Seriously, the amount of talent we have is just stupid. To any fellow students reading this, all I ask is that you don’t take for granted just how good your campus newspaper is, especially the sports section (in my biased opinion).

Thank you to my parents, for being my biggest supporters and for helping fund what has been the most important experience of my life. Dad, thanks for reading more of my work than anyone else. Mom, I know I chided you about worrying about my safety so much on all those road trips, but I also know it was only out love, and I am eternally grateful for that.

Thank you to all the vets who showed me the way, and thanks to the young guys for ensuring that this place is in good hands with us seniors gone.

Thank you to Caitlin, Pyzik, Channy, Neal, Wass and Zach for being awesome beat mates, and for sharing some pretty epic road trips with me. Thank you to Nez for being a hell of an MSE, for your tireless efforts that you don’t get enough credit for. Thank you to Luke, because I don’t know I could have done this without having one of my best friends here with me.

Thank you to my friends just for being who you are. You’ll be seeing a lot more of me next semester. Let’s do it big.

As I write this, it’s about 10:30 on Sunday night. I’ve been at the Daily all day, and I’ll probably be here until close to 2 in the morning. There’s only a scattering of people, several of whom are singing loudly to 90s music blasting from a computer. There’s a whole lot of schoolwork I should be doing; I’m not doing it.

Tomorrow, a newspaper will come out that I helped make.

I’m pretty damn sweaty after one last game of chair monkey.

I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Emma Gase
2011 Music Editor

I still don’t know how I got hired as Music Editor, considering I’m positive for my entire first year the staff who knew I existed probably dubbed me the Amazing Silent Writer, but then again, I was always punctual. However, in all seriousness, working at the Daily has given me some of my favorite college memories. G nite, the original Cake Run (RIP Chocolate House), the infamous Time Kavi Served Heroic Justice to that guy who stole some other guy’s backpack on State Street, interviewing Bryan Greenberg when I didn’t even care, listening to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy every single nightside because Sharon and I never got sick of it, covering Austin City Limits, receiving 15 scathing comments on my two-star Kings of Leon review. I shudder when I reread my very first articles, but I take a warm comfort in knowing that the Daily was the place that pushed me to improve, purely because there was so much fantastic competition all around me. Thanks, y’all.

Haley Glatthorn
Senior News Editor

Two and a half years ago, I wanted to join an organization, participate and move up into a leadership position. More of an obligation than a desire, I needed “extracurricular activities” to fill my time. I picked the Daily because it was familiar; I was an editor on my high school’s newspaper and I thought I’d put the practice to use. My plan did sort of work, because it describes exactly what I did, but in a way so far removed from the reality of the experience that it almost seems untrue. The Daily became the place where I spent 25 hours every week with some of my best friends in an emotional roller coaster of a year. As an institution, it gave me far more than any of you care to read about here. Thank you to everyone who helped me along the way, everyone who understands what working here means and everyone who has ever read an article (because we need you, too). To the outgoing seniors and the incoming editors: good luck with everything to come!

Rayza Goldsmith
Senior News Editor

I often wonder whether or not if, knowing what I know now, I would have ever stepped foot into the newsroom. The answer, almost undoubtedly, is yes. Despite all of the things I hate about the Daily — the fact that it stole me away from my precious school work, ruined my sleep schedule and robbed me of a conventional social life — it is precisely those things that made this experience not only worthwhile, but a necessary piece to the puzzle that is my college existence and my journey to becoming the person I aspire to be.

It has little to do with the job. Sure, working on a deadline taught me to crank out an eight-page Political Science paper in four hours; I can list inDesign as a skill on my resume; I learned, albeit with some inevitable kinks, how to work in a professional setting.

Honestly, I could have done without those things if enduring all the frustration and sleep deprivation had simply left me with a laundry list of resume bullet points.

I questioned nearly every day why I was giving so much of myself to one institution — a newspaper, no less, when I don’t even want to go into journalism.

But really, it is in the context of this place and these people that I learned more about myself than I ever could have if I had spent my Sunday nights at the library instead of the newsroom.

The Daily gave me an outlet to discover and, more importantly, experiment with who I am, and it also helped me to see who and what I am not.

Without the frustration of arguing with my peers in the newsroom about the relative prevalence of sexism; without feeling the unadulterated sense of fear associated with conducting my first phone interview; without the thrill of getting a mundane online task done before being asked — without all of these things, I wouldn’t be able to walk out of Ann Arbor and into the real world as self-assured or content with my college experience, and for that, I can be nothing but grateful.

Josh Healy
Managing Editor

The paper has given me so much, and even after all the long hours, I somehow still feel like I’ve given back too little.

The following list is entirely incomplete, but a special thanks to Jo, Yossi, Melanie, Adi, Eileen, Bethany, Hannah, Christine, Beth, Steph, Nicole, Carolyn, Sharon, Zach, Dylan, Tim, Jennifer, Leah, Stephen, Haley, Rayza, Adam, Andrew, and Arjun.

Thanks to the many editors, writers, photographers, and designers I was privileged to work with. You’re the true bread and butter of this place, and it was an honor to play a minor role in helping along your immense, and immensely impressive, body of work.

I also have to thank — and, of course, take this last opportunity to tutor — all the people who applied to work or worked for me on Copy (which has become yet another list of names too long to include here.) I’m glad to have been a small part what Hannah built and what Jo and Tom will carry forward. I could write a short novel on the headaches and heartaches of acquiring one’s editing chops here, so I’ll just leave this advice: Always hold your reporters’ feet to the fire. I promise you’ll both be better for it when your time is through here.

On that note, to those of you working at the paper now, and to those who will work for the paper some day in the future: Enjoy your time here. We take for granted that we get to pick our bosses, rather than the other way around. We take for granted that we’re the ones in charge. We take for granted that the friendships and experience we gain here will serve us no matter our particular trajectories.

Try not to take it for granted. Enjoy every second of it.

Proma Khosla
Daily Arts Writer

I’ve written for Daily Arts since the start of my sophomore year. After three terms of editors, one year of Dark Nights as TV/New Media editor, countless television reviews and the occasional dabbling in film, music, fine art and the B-side, I can’t imagine life without the safety blanket that is this paper.

As crazy as my other extracurricular activities got, college would have been incomplete without the Daily. It has been a privilege to gather in the newsroom every week and semi-pretentiously geek out about television, books and movies
with such brilliant arts writers. It was in this building that I realized how badly I want to work in entertainment and that writing absolutely has to be part of my future.

Bringing in articles every week — whether it was an interview with the Most Boring Man I’ve Ever Met or a slightly crazy but impassioned Bollywood column — has bettered me as a writer, and the familiar catharsis of writing has bettered me as a person.

Thank you to everyone I met here, everyone with whom I shared the page and the opinions expressed upon it. Thank you to my mentors, my contemporaries and my successors. It’s been a pleasure.

Allison Kruske
B-Side Photo Editor

There is a quote by Miranda July that says, “like ivy, we grow where there is room for us.”
The Daily has always been more than just a job for me; it is a place I call home. This paper and these people have helped me learn and grow in more ways than any academic class ever could. At times it was my main source of procrastination. When I needed to print off 50 pages for a reading assignment, I knew exactly who to turn to. When I had pulled too many all nighters and ran face first into the library metal detectors, I knew where I could find a couch to nap on. But more than anything, the Daily has taught me that there will always be a reason for drinking champagne on a weeknight.

I cannot put into words how much I have learned during my time here. This may be due to the fact that I am a photographer and this is my first time writing anything for the Daily but never the less, it’s a tough thing to sum up. I would like to thank my parents, whom have so graciously supported my growing coffee addiction, which has kept me awake these past 4 years. But more importantly, I would like to thank all of my co-workers for making my time here so deluxe.

It is hard for me to walk away from this job, these people, this building. But like ivy, I too must continue to grow; not only for myself but to open up this space for all of you to grow as well. To all of the new managing editors and staff, always continue to grow and push yourself to do new things in life. I could not have made it through this without you.

All of my love,
partycat

Michael Laurila
Assistant Sports Editor

If you’re reading this, well I’m not going to tell you some touching story about my first time walkinginto the Daily. I truly don’t remember, but it probably was touching. I do remember my first story that got changed the next day because my lede entailed a certain coach, who doesn’t need to be named, threatening a ref to go into the parking lot. To call it an interesting start to my career at the Daily wouldn’t necessarily do it justice. For those of you who missed it, well thanks for still reading my stories.

Thanks to all my family, who probably amount for more than half the reads on my stories, for continuing to read. And thanks to the Daily for occupying a hefty portion of my time, which probably would’ve been spent doing something a lot less important. Though I’m not going into journalism, the Daily has given me life experience that I’ll probably always have. This would probably be awkward if I didn’t end with a movie quote so I’ll leave you with “quack, quack, quack, quack, quack,” courtesy of one Gordon Bombay.

Joseph Lichterman
Editor in Chief

It's incredibly humbling to be part of an institution with more than 120 years' worth of history, but it's even more humbling to work alongside a group of individuals who have put so much into something larger than themselves. Like my predecessors and like those who will undoubtedly follow me, I've dedicated far more than I ever imagined I would to this place, but I'm also positive that I've learned and grown more than I'll ever know.

Marissa McClain
2011 Managing Photo Editor

I already tried saying goodbye to the Daily once before. It was a year ago on my final night of production as co-managing photo editor alongside Jed Moch. I remember sitting in the photo closet early into the morning with Jed, long after the paper went to print. Despite the fact that I still had a year left of school, sitting there talking to him, trying to digest the year we just experienced, it hit me that it was over. The Daily was where I made the work I was most proud of with the people that meant the most to me, and I was nervous about losing that. For the three years before that night, it felt like the Daily was mine and in just a few hours that would no longer be true.

When I was there night after night as MPE, everything I did felt important.The arguments, the fights, the loss of sleep, the classes I skipped all felt necessary because I felt like without them, and without me, there wouldn’t be a paper on newsstands the next day. However, when it was all over, a new set of editors were chosen, and I was being pushed to the curb, I realized something important: The Daily never needed me, I needed the Daily.

While it is hard for me to wrap my head around sometimes, there are always going to be more people willing to devote their time to making sure the paper goes out. Looking at the masthead now, the names aren’t as familiar as they used to be. I don’t know everything that goes into each newspaper, I don’t know all of the inside jokes, all of the drama. A year ago that would have made me sad, but now I see just how special that is.

I got my chance to be a part of making the Daily what it was and I know without a doubt that I am better for it, however, few things have made me more proud than taking a backseat and watching my successors experiencing the same thing I and thousands of men and women before me got to experience throughout the Daily’s 122-year history.

I may be leaving for good now, but the work I did, the friends I made, and the incredible experiences I had are all preserved in the papers I had a role in creating. Looking back at who I was when I walked into the Daily for the first time, an overconfident freshman who thought wearing sweatpants in public was an OK thing to do, I see just how much I’ve grown.

I know that the Daily would have gone on whether or not I walked into that mass meeting that day in 2009, however, I know that I wouldn’t be the person I am today if it wasn’t for the Daily and all of the talented, passionate people that make it what it is.

Alden and Erin: I could not be more proud of both of you. Seeing how beautifully both of you handled the position and the incredible work you’ve both made throughout I’ve never been happier to be so irrelevant.

Andrew: I remember when you were just a freshman who was afraid to drink four-loco in the newsroom. Look how far we’ve come, you’re EIC and I continue to be nobody. Don’t forget about me when you’re famous.

Jed: You’ve taught me patience, you’ve taught me confidence, and you’ve taught me how to dress like a human. Thank you for being the Jack Donaghy to my Liz Lemon, but more importantly thank you for being my friend through it all.

Mom and Dad: Sorry for putting you through all that stress, I hope I made you proud.

That’s all.

Radhika Menon
Daily Arts Writer

“Thank you for the music,” ABBA sang on their fifth studio album. It marked the last single the Swedish group ever released, a gracious overture to their many fans across the globe. Though it was the end of their careers as a solitary unit, it was far from the end of their music-making days.

As I look back at the limited time I’ve spent at the Daily, I truly don’t know where to begin with my gratitude. Thank you, Proma Khosla, for inspiring me to turn in my Arts application. Thank you, Mom and Dad, for keeping a physical copy of every article I wrote even though you have never (and will never) watch an episode of “How I Met Your Mother” or “Community.” Thank you, readers, for caring about television as much as I do.

And thank you, Michigan Daily, for the press passes, the weekly Sunday meetings and the ridiculous elections. Thank for teaching me what an em dash is and for showing me the magic of seeing my name in print. Thank you for giving me an outlet to profess my love to “Friday Night Lights” and “Parenthood” — my friends were getting tired of hearing about it. But above all, thank you for the endless opportunities to get better at doing something I love so much.

Thank you for the music, 420 Maynard.

Aditi Mishra
Daily Arts Writer

The Daily has been a dream to work for, primarily because I never expected that
“working” could be so much fun.

Nowhere else would I be able to have endless discussions about music, movies and TV shows than at Daily Arts. And no one else would understand. Yes, it’s a lonely world out there for an arts-lover/film-fanatic who happens to be studying engineering. From rants about Gwyneth Paltrow to heated debates about “The Dark Knight,” I’ve seen, heard and done everything, and it’s been a great almost-two year run.

I want to thank all the editors, past and present, for being so supportive and for giving me the opportunities I needed to become a better writer.

Brianne, I hope that the days of musing over “Misfits” and Logan Lerman aren’t over!

Tao, Matt, Sean and Akshay, to me, you guys are the Film section, and it’s been amazing working with every ridiculously talented one of you.

To next year’s Film crew: you’re definitely not done with me just yet.

Stephen J. Nesbitt
Managing Sports Editor

The goodbyes began a few weeks ago, when I stepped away from Seat 28 in the Michigan Stadium press box for the final time. I curled through the athletic campus feeling equal parts nostalgic and lucky.

I walked through the concourse of the Big House, alongside Crisler Center and ambled past Al Glick Field House and Yost Ice Arena. Each building recently renovated, each program perched at the pinnacle of college athletics.

It’s a special place, Michigan. And I’ve been fortunate enough to spend the last three years telling its stories, documenting the teams and the people that make it all tick, that carry the banner for the block ‘M’.

But I never would have had that chance without first finding the Daily.

This place has been everything. Forty hours per week in the newsroom, 300 bylines, more than 15,000 miles driven. It’s taken me from St. Louis to St. Paul, from New York to New Hampshire, from Big Rapids to the Big Easy.

I wouldn’t trade it for anything. I’m undeniably blessed.

I’m “Nez” here. (Though, in retrospect, I’m pretty sure I gave myself the nickname.) Upstairs at 420 Maynard, I’ve worked alongside some of the most gifted young writers and editors in the nation, the type of talent that makes the term “student journalist” sting like an unwarranted insult.

And, back in Seat 28, where I saw the Michigan football team go a perfect 14-0 and the hockey team trump Michigan State in The Big Chill at the Big House, I’ve learned from the finest beat writers — and best people — around.

There’s no proper way to say goodbye to 420 Maynard, so I’m not doing it just yet. I’ll be around to write the SportsMonday column each week, but it’ll be different. The sports section will be in new hands, the newspaper under new leadership.

So, before the ink dries on this chapter, let me pull toward a close by saying a few long-overdue words of thanks:

To Jim Abbott, Luke Glendening, Dave Molk and Maureen Moody for giving me their stories to tell.

To Nicole for paving the way; Tim for being a bigger inspiration than he’ll ever know; Nick for stepping up to the plate and getting ready for that real rocket.

To Jillian for dragging me to the mass meeting and for celebrating every triumph along the way.

To Red Berenson for trying his best, sitting the Daily beat writers down after practice in the spring two years ago, right before the Frozen Four run, to tell us that journalism isn’t a lucrative industry, that we’d be better off doing just about everything else. He’s a superlative man and coach. Good for him, good for his team.

To The Crew™ — Zach, Ben, Luke and Erin — for a great run this fall. Let’s finish strong in Tampa. To every beatmate for pushing me. To Smilo, Steph and Yossi for sacrificing a year of their lives to carry this paper through yet another year of editorial freedom.

To Arnold Palmer for 99 cents well spent, every time.

To John Lowe for every journey into the history books, lessons of the past, and for every late night spent selflessly mentoring a staff of raw sportswriters.

And, of course, to Papa, Mama, Stephanie, Daniel, Laurelin, David, Peter, Lane, Rachel, Elizabeth, Carol and Bethany for following along. I love you all.

Finally, to the Daily staff: Thank you. In the words of the venerable Jake Smilovitz, “it's strangely comforting to know that the best job you'll ever have you had when you were 20 years old.”

Luke Pasch
Senior Sports Editor

In our newsroom, there’s this big red trash bin we all use. Sophomore year, Zak Pyzik and I roadtripped to Bloomington to cover Michigan-Indiana hoops for the paper, and we jacked it from the arena. We drove six hours through the night with a smelly trash bin taking the entire back seat. Zak got pulled over for speeding — twice — and somehow, neither Indiana cop pieced together that a bin with a giant I-U on it was property of Assembly Hall. Other things happened that night that are too illegal to discuss here. (To any law enforcement official reading this — this is not an admission of guilt.)

To staffers and custodians, the bin is just a bin. For me, it’s a memory I’ll always cherish. Same goes for the Clemson rug, the Virginia traffic sign and the Minnesota tissue box holder. I just want to say thank you for four years worth of memories created.

Additional thanks goes to the readers who sat in the back of lecture with the paper open. Thank you to the managing editors who sacrificed their social lives to make a paper every single day. Thank you for chair monkey and broken windows. Thank you for the honor to be part of a tradition that is 133 years in the making.

And forever, fuck State News.

Lucy Perkins
Daily Arts Writer

I almost joined the Daily my freshman year, but I didn’t. Maybe I was too nervous or shy or intimidated by a newsroom full of writers and editors who all seemed to know exactly what they were doing and appeared to be doing it really well. A year later, I took my chances and I am so grateful that I did.

A round of applause for the Daily, for being around for kids like me who can’t decide if they want to write. Now it’s all I want to do.

Vanessa Rychlinski
Senior Editorial Page Editor

When I first started writing on a whim for the Daily as a columnist in my sophomore year, I was still a misguided rebel. My first piece, an apathetic anti-advice column about student groups, was satisfying but drew some ire. Two years later, I find myself having learned more from this student organization (of which I accidentally became a member), the Michigan Daily than I ever could have anticipated. I’m glad I was lucky enough to have fallen into editorial, the heart-on-its-sleeve section that challenges assumptions, lends perspective and provides a venue to debate ideas and create solutions, however idealistic or contentious or difficult they may be. Besides finally learning how to actually write— something the English Department may or may not teach you, depending on whom you ask — I discovered what it means to be passionate about something – anything – and how to take steps toward the person I want to be. Many of my colleagues – and not just from the editorial side of the room – have inspired and educated me just as much as this job has, if not more. I’m thankful and blessed. Cheers.

Andrew Schulman
Senior News Editor

This newspaper has offered me an opportunity for growth I would not have found elsewhere, and for that I am grateful. To my friends at the Daily and all those who have taught me over the last year and a half, thank you.

Sarah Squire
2011 Web Development Manager, 2010 Managing Design Editor

The Daily taught me how to stay awake for 76 hours. I hope I never need that skill again.

Chloe Stachowiak
Music Editor

Thank you, Daily, for giving me a place to nostalgically gush about Avril Lavigne, eat 16oz of hummus at a time and purchase cans of Diet Coke for 50 cents. I probably haven't responded to any of your emails over the past three years (I swear I didn't get it -- can you try sending it again?) and I'm sure I've missed an Oxford comma or two while editing your articles -- but nevertheless, I love you all and it's been real.

Colleen Thomas
Assistant Sports Editor

I never intended to be a journalist. I already had my life planned out — my high school career was dedicated to architecture courses to prep for college, I was pre-admitted to Taubman College here and I was building a portfolio that would land me a job as an architect someday.

But sometimes things don’t turn out the way you planned them and sometimes you’ll throw away everything you’ve worked on to pursue something that actually makes you happy. For a type-A person like me, I couldn’t imagine giving up my life’s work to walk into 420 Maynard on a whim, but I did, and I couldn’t be happier.

I look back at my old self and laugh. What I was really afraid of was letting go of my security blanket and taking a leap into the unknown where I didn’t know what would happen with my life. But that turned out to be a good thing: I found what makes me happiest.

And now, just a year and a half later, I’m forced to say goodbye to just that. To the hours in the newsroom working on the next day’s paper, to playing chair monkey with half the sports staff, to the numerous road trips and early morning drives. To everything that keeps me happy.

For helping me find those things, I have the Daily to thank.

To Nez, thank you for having faith in me to put me on the women’s basketball beat after barely joining staff. Without that opportunity I wouldn’t be in the same position I am today.

To Slovin and Liz V., thank you for showing me the ropes in the sports section and for being two great co-workers and friends.

To Dan “The Deuce,” Greg, and Alexa, thanks for being the greatest softball beat in existence. I’m half jealous I’m not on women’s basketball with y’all this season.

To the Summer Daily 2012, thank you for the greatest summer of my life and the #DailyFortNights that came with it.

Now it’s time to take the plunge into the real world and hope that I find something that makes me just as happy as the Daily has.

Kaitlin Williams
Deputy Magazine Editor

When I walked into the Stanford Lipsey Student Publications Building nearly three years ago, I didn’t know which staff section I wanted to join. I was leaning toward Opinion, but News was the first (a fitting stereotype) to approach my wandering, freshman self. One day, more than a year later, every news story on the front page had my byline. I’m going to miss the opportunity to see my name in print, a proud tradition the Daily continues.

Joining the Daily led to some of my proudest collegiate moments. Thank you to Jennifer and Dylan for entrusting me to take over the Literary Issue and Students of the Year. Editing The Statement has been a stunning experience with editorial freedom. Thank you Nolan, Terra and Zach for completing the sexiest Statement staff ever and having the skills to back it up. And thank you to Yossi for putting up with our shenanigans.

Jennifer Xu
Co-Magazine Editor

Instead of joining the pre-med club my freshman year, I joined the Daily, forgoing late nights at a cell biology lab to stare at InDesign layouts and edit stories on the workflow. Despite the fact that I've hated 420 Maynard almost as much as I've loved it, I'm just really glad I'm not a member of the pre-med club.

Many thanks are in order. Four Lokos, you are the greatest: to Kavi, for our Gchats; to Sharon, for being an amazing boss; to Leah, for driving me home. I love you, Statement staff: to KD and Zach, for putting up with my sometimes-disorganization; to Dylan, for thinking of headlines and giving me your grandfather's phone number; to Terra, for writing the best article I've read in my life; to Nolan, for doing everything (you are the true mother of The Statement).

To the new people, I wish you luck. It's nice being part of a system that'll prosper long after you leave it. If I ever become a rich person I will donate a zillion dollars to this crazy establishment.

Steve Zoski
Daily Staff Reporter

Ever since I was little kid lying on the couch with my Dad watching Michigan football, or going to the library with my mom, I have wanted to go to the University of Michigan and be a writer.Because I was denied acceptance when I applied in 2008, I spent two years at the University of Michigan's Dearborn campus, hoping to eventually transfer here.

If you want to know just how happy I felt when I got accepted as a transfer student to Michigan on February 3rd, 2011, just search Youtube for “Rudy acceptance letter.”

I've written for the Daily for less than two years, but they were my best times as a Wolverine. Thank God for that. And thank mom, dad and Aunt Mary for sending me love, support, and financial aid. Thanks to all of my Daily friends who I've been fortunate to meet on the way. Thanks to Yossi for editing my first article enough that it was somehow acceptable to print. Thanks to Hebes.

Had I never received that first email from Bethany Biron about joining the Daily, I would never have done so many amazing things:

I've spent early summer mornings celebrating a finished paper by singing 'Rocket Man' with the talented fort-building summer Daily of 2012, helped devour a Vermonster, gone to NYC for the first time, eaten a cheeseburger and attended story meetings inside The New York Times building (where I met legendary Daily alums), interviewed Kal Penn and the White House Press Secretary, listened to life advice from people including John Dingell, Dan Rather, Red Berenson, and Time Managing Editor Michael Duffy-who offered some of the best career advice of all: “plastics.”

There were late school nights trekking back from City Council meetings, early mornings, and a whole lot of insomnia and stress, but being a part of the storied Daily has honestly made transferring worth all of the sacrificed time, lost credits, and student loans. I am so lucky to have met you all.

Life is fast and so full of uncertainty, but wherever it takes us, no matter how long ours and our loved one's hearts beat, I have a feeling there will be a light of goodness that shines on. Nestled within a little lighthouse at the top of 420 Maynard, you may be able to catch a glimpse.