Friday, April 18, 2014

Senior Goodbyes 2011

Erin Kirkland and Alden Reiss/Daily
BACK ROW (From Left to Right): Deputy Magazine Editor Stephen Ostrowski, Co-Managing Sports Editor Tim Rohan, Senior Sports Editor Kevin Raftery, Senior Sports Editor Michael Florek, former Assistant Photo Editor Chris Dzombak, Daily Staff Reporter Suzanne Jacobs, Senior Arts Editor Kavi Shekhar Pandey, Daily Arts Writer David Riva MIDDLE ROW: Editorial Board Member Seth Soderborg, Editorial Board Member Erika Mayer, Daily News Editor Caitlin Huston, Deputy Magazine Editor Devon Thorsby, Deputy Magazine Editor Elyana Twiggs, former Co-Managing Design Editor Anna Lein-Zielinski, Senior Copy Editor Christine Chun, Daily Staff Reporter Claire Goscicki, Daily Arts Writer Veronica Menaldi, Daily Staff Reporter Sabira Khan FRONT ROW: Managing Arts Editor Sharon Jacobs, Magazine Editor Carolyn Klarecki, Managing Editor Nick Spar, Editor in Chief Stephanie Steinberg, Managing News Editor Nicole Aber, Co-Editorial Page Editor Emily Orley, Co-Editorial Page Editor Michelle Dewitt, Co-Managing Photo Editor Jed Moch. Buy this photo

BY DAILY STAFF

Published December 13, 2011

Nicole Aber
Managing News Editor

It’s strange to think this is the end. It’s been three and a half years, and when I think back on my college career, I can’t think of anything without the Daily in it. I’ve loved this place, and I’ve hated it just as much. But when I think about what it gave me — writing and editing skills, a place that made Ann Arbor home, a reporter’s audacity, and my best friends — I can’t be anything but thankful.

Christine Chun
Senior Copy Chief

I'm really grateful to have been a part of the Daily and definitely regret that I didn't join earlier than I did. I'm so glad to have not only learned a lot of about journalism and how it's done, but also to have met a lot of great people along the way.

For these reasons, I want to say thanks to the copy section, Adi, Melanie, Eileen and Josh, former copy chiefs I've worked with, and Hannah, my co-copy chief for next semester. It's not only been fun, but I've also learned so much from working with you guys.

And of course, I want to say thanks to the Daily, for teaching me so many things and defining my college experience. I will definitely take everything I got from the Daily with me wherever I go.

Michelle DeWitt
Co-Editorial Page Editor

I walked into the Daily my sophomore year as a wayward transfer student desperate for something other than classes to fill my time. The Daily has certainly taken up plenty of my time over the past two and a half years, but it has been an amazing experience.

Emily, I could never have done this without you, nor would I have wanted to. Thank you for all the cinna-stix, wine, trash television, online shopping, Starbucks, car rides and Harry Potter marathons.

Andrew and Ashley, thank you for your help over the past year. You will both be fabulous editorial page editors. Never get discouraged and have a wonderful time.

Steph, thank you for tolerating my Spanglish. Squire, thank you for all the plastic utensils and helping me with pretty much everything.

To all the opinion editors, you have been amazing. Thank you for putting up with my craziness and strange obsession with InDesign. To editboard, thank you for sticking with Emily and I, and for helping us carry the burden of 122 years of editorial freedom.

Thank you to my family, friends and roommates who have supported me through the past several years. The Daily has meant the world to me and it has been so humbling to be a part of something much bigger than myself. To all future Daily staffers, have fun and enjoy the experience.

Chris Dzombak
Daily Staff Photographer

The Daily has been good to me these three and a half years. I've had very cool opportunities, I can tell some great stories (running out of gas with three other staffers on I-96 was an interesting night!), and I've learned so many things they just don't teach in class. Most importantly, I've made some really amazing friends here, and I can't imagine having gone through college without them.

To everyone at the Daily: I'll miss you. You've made my experience a truly great and memorable one, and I know each of you will go on to do something awesome!

Michael Florek
Senior Sports Editor

If you’re reading this, there is a high probability that you already know me in some way. So I won’t waste anybody’s time with a boring story about walking into the Daily for the first time, seeing the ugly carpeting and the colossal mess on all the desks and feeling like I belonged.

Instead, I’ll just say thanks.

Thanks to my parents for thinking I was good, and to the rest of my family for not having the heart to tell them I wasn’t.

Thanks to any player, coach, SID, fellow journalist or anyone else I’ve come across that didn’t scream in my face (which, thankfully is all of them). You didn’t have to talk to me and be so nice.

|