Thursday, April 24, 2014

University to demolish North Hall

By Ariana Assaf, Daily Staff Reporter

South Quad Residence Hall might look a bit rough right now, but another building on campus will have it worse.

North Hall, the building that currently is home to the University’s ROTC programming, is set for demolition, pending approval by the Board of Regents.

Operations Officer Wayne Doyle said the building is being torn down because repairs to the current building would be too costly.

University spokesman Rick Fitzgerald said the building, located on North University Avenue near the C.C. Little Building and the Museum of Natural History, is “more than a little old."

North Hall was built between 1899 and 1900 as the Homeopathic Hospital Building, according to records from the Bentley Historical Library. It has housed ROTC programs since 1940.

Fitzgerald said plans for demolition and reconstruction of North Hall will be up for approval by the University's Board of Regents next month. Therefore, he could provide only limited information at the time.

“It’s been in development for a long time,” Fitzgerald said. “It’s a project that will try to solve multiple problems on campus.”

Lt. Col. Allana Bryant, a professor of military science, said ROTC programs will be relocated in May, and the building will be torn down in June. It’s not clear where the ROTC program will be held during construction.

Fitzgerald declined to comment on the timeline of construction, but said more information will become available once the project is approved.

Nursing junior Meghan Conger, an Army ROTC cadet, said she spends several hours a week at North Hall because it's the meeting place for almost all of her ROTC activities. She added that she's disappointed the building will be taken down, as she thinks of it as a campus landmark.

“It's a very unique building with a lot of purpose, and it's a building that's special to cadets and midshipmen because it's solely for ROTC operations,” Conger said. “Not a lot of other students know about it or can use it.”

Conger was surprised by the decision to raze the building, because she thought it was in good condition. She said the building's basement isn't in the best condition, but the classrooms, lounges and offices appear to be in good shape.

“The building is undeniably old-looking, but I think it has a lot of charm,” Conger said. “While the building is getting older and we can undoubtedly find another area for us, North Hall holds a lot of memories and will be missed.”

|