Friday, April 25, 2014

At Romney's high school alma mater, students split on support

Courtesy of Cranbrook
Republican nominee Mitt Romney shakes hands with his father, George Romney, at his 1965 Cranbrook graduation. Buy this photo

By Sam Gringlas, Daily Staff Reporter

When the polls close Tuesday evening and electoral maps light up on screens across the nation, Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney will begin preparations.

The former Massachusetts governor and Michigan native will either start settling into the life of a defeated candidate or ready himself for four years in the White House.

But before all the rallies, debates, campaign yard signs and other efforts designed to propel Romney to Washington, young Mitt inhabited a place less foreign to Michiganders than the Beltway. Romney spent his formative years in Bloomfield Hills, an affluent Detroit suburb only 45 miles northeast of Ann Arbor.

As the time until Tuesday dwindles, neither campaign is giving up on winning over Bloomfield Hills and the state of Michigan. Even at Cranbrook, the elite college-preparatory school located in Bloomfield Hills that is Romney’s alma mater, allegiances remain divided.

It was among Cranbrook’s Tudor-style brick and stone buildings, nestled on 319 acres of converted farmland, that the future presidential candidate began seventh grade classes in 1959.

In May, the Washington Post article investigated Romney’s time at Cranbrook beyond his participation in the glee club, the cross country team and his role as hockey manager. Through interviews with his classmates, the Post detailed several Romney pranks, including an incident where Romney allegedly harassed a homosexual student.

“That definitely brought extra media attention,” Cranbrook senior George Gheordunescu, co-president of Cranbrook’s chapter of the Teenage Republicans, said. “You can’t go to Cranbrook and not feel connected to the student body. I would like Mitt Romney to be more open about his years at Cranbrook. He doesn’t talk about his years in school.”

To meet the demands of journalists digging into Romney’s Cranbrook years, the school created a page on its website to field requests for information and maintains a policy of not commenting on the election.

“It would certainly be a sense of enormous pride to have one of our alumni elected to the highest office in the land,” the website states. “However, as a matter of policy, Cranbrook Schools does not and will not endorse any political ideology, party or candidate.”

Karen Santana-Garces, the president of Cranbrook’s Club for Liberals and Democrats, said though students are excited about his status as an alum, it hasn’t been a critical driving force in influencing student support.

“It is exciting that he is an alumni, but that’s not really the main support that he has,” Club for Liberals and Democrats president Karen Santana-Garces said. “I think it’s more about your political beliefs.”

Gheordunescu said it’s hard to tell where the majority of student support lies. Like Santana-Garces, he said Romney’s Cranbrook roots haven’t played a significant role.

“A lot of people say it’s cool that Romney went to our school, but I don’t think they are going to make their decision based on that,” Gheordunescu said. “I don’t think that has as much of an effect as people might think.”

Both Gheordunescu and Santana-Garces emphasized the economy and college affordability as issues most important to students.

“Being able to afford a college education is a very important issue,” Gheordunescu said. “Once we graduate from college, we want to be able to find good jobs and start our own lives.”

Cranbrook tuition itself is comparable to that of a college education. While the school provides scholarships and financial aid, and bases tuition around a family’s income level, regular tuition costs $28,300 per year for families earning more than $150,000 annually.

Still, Cranbrook prides itself on a diverse student body, contributing to divided electoral sentiments.

|