Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Regents approve upgrades to Earl V. Moore building

By Peter Shahin, Daily Staff Reporter

The University’s Board of Regents unanimously approved a host of renovations across campus, from minor facelift projects to sweeping overhauls of iconic structures, at its monthly meeting on Thursday

The largest agenda item approved by the regents is a comprehensive $23.2-million renovation of the Earl V. Moore building on North Campus. Originally constructed in 1964 and the home of the School of Music, Theater & Dance, the Moore building has become dilapidated and inhibits the performance of students and faculty. At the University’s annual leadership breakfast on Oct. 30, University President Mary Sue Coleman announced the building would be upgraded in part with a donation from alumni Bill and Dee Brehm.

“I know the faculty from Music, Theatre & Dance will agree when I say this project is overdue,” Coleman said at the leadership breakfast.

In a communication with the regents filed before the meeting, Timothy Slottow, the University’s executive vice president and chief financial officer, wrote the building’s 21,000 square foot expansion and renovation will include a large new rehearsal hall, lecture hall and music practice rooms.

Out of the overall $23.2-million cost to renovate the structure, the University will provide $14 million augmented with $8 million from the Brehm family. The University will also seek an additional $1 million from smaller donors and alumni of the School of Music, Theater & Dance.

“Our School of Music, Theater & Dance competes for and attracts the most talented students in the country,” University Provost Philip Hanlon said. “It’s one of the gems of the University and this renovation is very sorely needed.”

The regents also approved a request from Christopher Kendall, the dean of the School of Music, Theatre & Dance, to name the addition to the Moore Building as the “Brehm Pavilion” in honor of their contribution.

Jerry May, the University's vice president for development, also praised the Brehms at the meeting for their support of previous projects such as the Kellogg Eye Center and endowed professorships.

“The Brehms leadership through this has been extraordinary,” May said. “It’s been so heartening to see the Brehms reach all of the areas they care so much about.”

The regents also approved multimillion-dollar renovations for the William L. Clements Library, the basement of the College of Pharmacy, a part of the North Campus Research Complex, a utilities tunnel under South University Avenue, and a $6-million paint and steel replacement for Michigan Stadium.

|