Friday, October 31, 2014

Regents to appoint LSA Dean, new vice provost position

By Sam Gringlas, Daily News Editor
and Claire Bryan, Daily Staff Reporter

When the University’s Board of Regents convene for their monthly meeting Thursday, they will vote on an agenda filled largely with personnel items, including the appointments a new LSA dean ; the vice provost for inclusion, equity and academic affairs and the chancellor of the University of Michigan-Flint. The regents will also approve academic appointments for University President-elect Mark Schlissel, who will assume the presidency in July.

Washington University in St. Louis professor to be appointed next LSA dean

Pending approval by the regents, Andrew D. Martin, vice dean at the Washington University School of Law, will serve as the next dean of the College of Literature, Science and the Arts.

Martin’s term will be effective July 1, 2014 through June 30, 2019. He will also receive a tenured appointment as a professor of political science in LSA.

The position of dean was held on an interim basis by Psychology Prof. Susan Gelman who served from September 2013 to August 2014. Gelman replaced History Prof. Terrance McDonald, who stepped down in 2012 after nearly a decade in the position.

A search advisory committee recommended Martin’s selection after an international search.

Martin earned a bachelor’s degree in mathematics and government from the College of William and Mary and a doctorate degree in political science from Washington University in St. Louis.

He later taught at Stony Brook University in New York for two years before he became an assistant professor in Washington University’s political science department.

In 2004, Martin was promoted to associate professor of political science, before earning an appointment in the School of Law.

Martin is also the founding director of the Center for Empirical Research in Law and the principal of the analytics consulting group Principia Empirica LCC.

According to a communication to the regents, Martin is an expert in the study of judicial decision-making, specifically in the Supreme Court and lower federal courts.

In 2012, Martin was elected as a fellow of the Society for Political Methodology. He is a principal investigator of eight grants from the National Science Foundation and, along with his collaborator, Kevin M. Quinn, developed the Martin-Quinn Scores, an ideological continuum that is used to measure ideology on the U.S. Supreme Court.

During Martin’s time as chair of the Department of Political Science at Washington University, he recruited six faculty members, improved the undergraduate curriculum and worked to improve the academic environment, University Provost Martha Pollack wrote in the communication.

In Martin’s current position as vice dean of the School of Law, he works closely with senior administrators and the school’s dean on issues involving curriculum, enrollment management, student services, fundraising and budget.

“I am confident that Andrew Martin will build on the college's extraordinarily strong foundation to empower faculty to achieve their greatest potential; to further strengthen our undergraduate and graduate programs; and to advance the university's commitment to diversity, excellence and access,” Pollack wrote.

Regents to appoint psychology chair as vice provost for inclusion, equity and academic affairs

The regents will also appoint Robert Sellers, chair of the department of psychology, as the University’s first vice provost for equity, inclusion and academic affairs.

The position was created as the request of Pollack as part of a series of University initiatives designed to promote a more inclusive climate and address issues of race and diversity on campus.

“In his new role as vice provost, Professor Sellers will provide strategic leadership for programs and policies that result in increased access and success for all students, the recruitment and retention of diverse faculty, and the development and expansion of academic programs that prepare all students for success in a diverse world,” Pollack wrote in a communication to the regents.

Sellers’ main responsibilities will include advising the provost on issues of diversity at the University and throughout the field of higher education, as well as overseeing new programs created to foster inclusion.

Last semester, members of the University’s Black Student Union launched the #BBUM Twitter campaign where thousands of users shared their experiences as Black students and called on the administration to implement an array of diversity-focused initiatives.

In a January e-mail, Pollack announced the administration’s intentions to spearhead an array of policy changes in response to the campaign, including renovations to the Trotter Multicultural Center and the creation of the new vice provost position.

“This commitment is longstanding and fundamental to who we are as an institution,” Pollack wrote. “And yet, there are times we have not lived up to our highest aspirations.”

Sellers will replace Lester Monts, the current vice provost for academic affairs, who is stepping down to return to teaching. Sellers’ term begins July 1 and ends in 2019. Under Sellers, Monts’ position will be rebranded to focus more on issues of diversity and inclusion.

Sellers received a B.A. in psychology from Howard University and earned his Ph.D in personality psychology from the University in 1990. He was appointed an assistant professor at the University of Virginia, before joining the University’s ranks in 1997.

As a professor in the department of psychology and the School of Education, Sellers’ research interests have focused on the role of race in the psychological lives of African Americans, touching topics such as racial discrimination and racial identity.

Schlissel to receive appointments in LSA, Medical School

The regents will also approve appointments for University President-elect Mark S. Schlissel as a professor of microbiology and immunology, with tenure, and a professor of internal medicine, without tenure, in the Medical School, as well as a professor of molecular, cellular and developmental biology, with tenure, in LSA.

The recommendations were signed by LSA Interim Dean Susan Gelman and Medical School Dean James Woolliscroft. The appointments will be effective July 1, 2014, the date Schlissel is scheduled to assume the presidency.

Schlissel is nationally recognized for research on the development of biology of B lymphocytes, genetic factors involved in the production of antibodies and mistakes and processes leading to lymphoma and leukemia. Schlissel has authored and co-authored over 100 scientific publications.

He has also served as a member of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute Scientific Review Board, was elected to the American Society of Clinical Investigations and was elected to be a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.

As provost at Brown University, Schlissel continued to author papers, publishing five last year.

Academic appointments are not uncommon for University presidents. University President Mary Sue Coleman has appointments as a professor of biological chemistry in the Medical School and as a professor of chemistry in LSA.

Susan Borrego to succeed Ruth Person as UM-Flint chancellor

The regents will also vote on the appointment of Susan E. Borrego, the vice president for enrollment management, planning and student affairs at California State University, Dominguez Hills, as the chancellor and chief executive officer for the University of Michigan-Flint campus.

Her term is effective Aug. 1, 2014 until July 31, 2019.

Borrego will succeed Ruth Person, chancellor of the UM-Flint campus, who has served in the role since 2008 and announced her retirement in January 2013. UM-Flint’s new chancellor will face an array of challenges as the satellite institution transitions into a greater emphasis as a residential campus.

In her current role, Borrego oversees student affairs and intercollegiate athletics, and developed the university’s new strategic plan, rebranding campaign and the development and implementation of the institution’s strategic enrollment plan.

California State University, Dominguez Hills, located in the South Bay region of Los Angeles County, is one of 23 campuses that make up the California State University system.

Borrego was previously the vice president for student affairs at California State University, Monterey Bay and assistant vice chancellor and dean of students at the University of Arkansas. Additionally, Borrego worked at the California Institute of Technology where she developed a high-achievement program for underrepresented students.

She serves on numerous national and local boards and task forces including the American Association of State College and Universities Hispanic Success study, NASPA: Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education undergraduate fellows program and Irvine Campus Diversity Initiative project.

“I look forward to the leadership, depth of experience, and vision that Ms. Borrego will bring to the University,” Coleman wrote in a release.

Array of appointments to round out regents agenda

Douglas Strong, current chief executive officer of the University’s Hospitals and Health Centers, will be appointed interim executive vice president and chief financial officer, effective June 20, 2014.

Upon the board’s approval, Strong will serve in the role vacated by Tim Slottow, current executive vice president and chief executive officer, who leave to serve as University of Phoenix’s president on June 20.

Anthony Denton will be appointed acting chief executive officer of the University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers, effective June 20, 2014.

Denton will serve in this role while Douglas Strong, the current CEO, serves as the University’s interim executive vice president and chief financial officer. Denton is the current chief operating officer for the University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers.

Ronald Zernicke will be reappointed as the dean of the School of Kinesiology, with a term beginning January 1, 2015 and concluding June 30, 2016.

The regents will also appoint James Dalton as the dean of the College of Pharmacy, effective September 1, 2014 through August 31, 2019.

The appointment follows an international search conducted by a search advisory committee. Dalton was most recently vice president of preclinical research and development at GTx, Inc. in Memphis while on entrepreneurial leave as a professor at The Ohio State University College of Pharmacy.