Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Seven things you missed at Thursday’s regents meeting

By Sam Gringlas, Daily News Editor
Published December 19, 2013

1. To kick off Thursday’s Board of Regents meeting, Kim Eagle, professor of internal medicine and director of the UMHS Cardiovascular Center, led a presentation on UMHS’s new approach to patient-centered care. The new focus seeks to involve patients and their families more intimately in the care they receive.

“We want to be a leader in helping patient- and family-centered care take hold in this country and beyond,” Eagle said.

2. Stephen Forrest, the outgoing University vice president for research, accepted a plaque from Regent Andrea Fischer Newman (R) in commemoration of his contributions to University research. Forrest will return to teaching in the College of Engineering in January.

“Thank you for the opportunity and the honor for letting me serve in this position,” Forrest said. “I’ve enjoyed Mary Sue’s friendship and leadership and that of my colleagues and all of the enormous support I’ve gotten from the regents.”

Forrest announced that he will step down in his position in Sept. He has served in the position since 2006.

3. In a keynote presentation to the regents, Engineering Dean David Munson pinpointed a host of challenges facing the College of Engineering as well as highlighting some of the school’s recent achievements. While discussing enrollment, Munson said the college continues to work toward increasing enrollment of female and minority students. Currently, the undergraduate population at the College of Engineering is only 24 percent female.

“There’s good news,” Munson said. “The entering freshman class was 30 percent so things are looking up there by a lot.”

4. During his report, CSG President Michael Proppe updated the regents on the progress made with Athletic Department officials in amending the University’s controversial general admission policy for football tickets. Regents Mark Bernstein (D), Denise Ilitch (D) and Newman all expressed support for CSG’s efforts to amend the policy.

“We’re talking about a big change in how tens of thousands of students enjoy the most popular sport here at Michigan,” Proppe said. “Now students have a seat at the table and Athletics is listening. I’m really confident next year’s policy will be an improvement for everyone.”

5. The regents approved an array of renovation projects, including infrastructure upgrades at the Law Library and Hatcher Graduate Library, as well as renovations to the Pierpont Commons dining space. E. Royster Harper, vice president for student life, said the project will provide much-needed community space for North Campus community members.

“I think there are faculty, staff and students that would be shouting with joy,” Harper said.

6. After Students Allied for Freedom and Equality slid mock eviction notices under 1,500 residence hall dorms to call attention to the plight of the Palestinian people, LSA senior Yazan Kherallah asked the regents to consider University divestment from Israel.

“#UMMockEviction was about raising awareness, but it was also about sparking conversation that will lead to just action,” he said.

7.

|