Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Following incident, frat kicked off campus

By Chelsea Hoedl, Daily Staff Reporter

The University’s chapter of the Psi Upsilon fraternity was suspended from activity March 15 and is currently under further investigation for dangerous conduct with its pledges. The fraternity has also been expelled from the University’s Interfraternity Council — the governing institution for fraternities on campus.

Several members of the Greek community have received emails from leaders suggesting that the punishment is for an incident that occurred the night of March 14. Messages allege that a pledge was taken to the hospital after registering a lethally high blood alcohol content.

Tom Fox, executive director of Psi Upsilon International Fraternity, the fraternity’s national organization, said he was contacted by William Atkins, assistant director of Greek Life at the University, regarding the incident.

“A young man was transported to the hospital after a party at a location outside of the chapter house on the evening of March 14th,” Fox said. “He was intoxicated and the chapter supposedly had supplied him with the alcohol.”

The person taken to the hospital was a pledge of the fraternity, but it is unclear at this point whether or not he was a victim of hazing, Fox said.

Fox visited the campus from March 17 to 18 and continues to investigate while the chapter remains suspended from activity.

“The chapter is not allowed to hold any events or activities,” Fox said. “No recruitment, no new member education, they aren’t even supposed to be having chapter meetings. The fraternity still has their meals and people still live there, but while this investigation is going on and while we gather facts, they’re not supposed to be holding any additional activities.”

Fox said the reason for activity suspension and investigation is to ensure safety.

University spokesman Rick Fitzgerald said the fraternity has been expelled from the Interfraternity Council. He added that it maybe possible for the fraternity to try to rejoin the council and normal Greek Life governance structure, but that this usually requires a change in leadership and significant reform.

The IFC executive board released a statement Thursday saying the chapter was expelled Wednesday for “recurring safety violations and poor risk-management.”

|